• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France

• Post Thanks / Like

a question about splitting infinitives in "to successfully navigate and support ..."

I live in France now. I want to move to Canada some day. When I arrive there, I will do volunteer work to learn more about the Canadian culture. I found the Canadian multilingual non-profit organization, MOSAIC, online which provides new immigrants with settlement programs and services. I want to write down a sentence from their website below.

(ex) Intercultural Competency Training helps groups, companies and organizations to successfully navigate and support the diverse cultural values and attitudes of their workforce and clientele.

I've heard that some native English speakers are against splitting infinitives while others support it.

(1) In the sentence above, is there another position you can move "successfully" into?

(2) To navigate means to find which way you need to go. However, this definition doesn't fit the given context. What does "navigate" mean in this sentence?

Could someone please explain my questions? Thank you very much for your help.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: a question about splitting infinitives in "to successfully navigate and support

1. The sentence is just fine as is. Those who 'are against splitting infinitives' can make their own case.

to deal effectively with a complicated situation

There’s no one I trust more to navigate these tricky political situations.

(Macmillan)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: a question about splitting infinitives in "to successfully navigate and support

Quote Originally Posted by newlearn View Post
    Intercultural Competency Training helps groups, companies and organizations to successfully navigate and support the diverse cultural values and attitudes of their workforce and clientele.
    The Economist magazine assiduously avoids splitting infinitives, though its style guide recognizes that the ban is pointless. I'm pretty sure their copy editors would revise that sentence by (awkwardly) putting "to" after "successfully": Intercultural Competency Training helps groups, companies and organizations successfully to navigate and support the diverse cultural values and attitudes of their workforce and clientele. This is a good example of how avoiding split infinitives can interfere with comprehensibility.

My advice is to merrily split infinitives when doing so improves readability.
    I am not a teacher.