Academic
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
[h=2]Hi there,

In the free dictionary by Farlex, the following definitions have been given for the word "hobby" and "pastime":

pastime[/h]noun activity, game, sport, entertainment, leisure, hobby, relaxation, recreation, distraction, amusement, diversion His favourite pastime is golf.

[h=2]hobby[/h]noun pastime, relaxation, leisure pursuit, sideline, diversion, avocation, favourite occupation, (leisure) activity My hobbies are letter-writing, football, music, photography, and tennis.

As you see, one of the synonyms for the word "hobby" is pastime, but not entertainment.
However, the word "pastime" is synonymous with both "entertainment" and "hobby". Thus, I wonder if we can consider "hobby", "pastime", and "entertainment" all as synonyms.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
No, you can't use synonyms that way. The only one I'd use for 'hobby' in the sense of "What is your favourite hobby?" in casual conversation is 'pastime'.
The use of synonyms is dependent on the context.
If you asked, "What is your favourite distraction/amusement?" it would not sound natural.

Venus.jam

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
No, you can't use synonyms that way. The only one I'd use for 'hobby' in the sense of "What is your favourite hobby?" in casual conversation is 'pastime'.
The use of synonyms is dependent on the context.
If you asked, "What is your favourite distraction/amusement?" it would not sound natural.

I see. So do you mean that these three words has been considered as synonyms in this dictionary by mistake?
By the way, you've mentioned that "The use of synonyms is dependent on the context". Are there any contexts in which we can consider "hobby", "entertainmnt" and "pastime" all as synonyms?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Dictionaries often list related words as synonyms, but that doesn't mean they are identical and can automatically be used in all contexts the same ways. It also doesn't mean that they are utterly wrong. Think of these synonyms as words from the same area more than replacements. Meaning is not an exact science, and synonyms less so.

Status
Not open for further replies.