Avenue

Hello,

I know the rules for the definite article with the names of streets, roads, avenues etc. However, I have read lately the book by the Preston-Child duo "The Cabinet of Curiosity" (in Polish).

I have met there the street name "Avenue of the American". I am curious if in this case the rule for the "of" phrase applies here and the definite article should be added before it?

Best regards,

Ewelina

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Avenue

Avenue of the Americas is a large street in New York City. You wouldn't use an indefinite article in front (the Avenue of the Americas), since it is the street's proper name, just like we don't say "The Broadway" or "The Lexington Avenue."

Sorry for getting back to the already explained issue, but I found this sentence on the WIKIPEDIA website:

The Diamond District is an area of New York City located on West 47th Street between Fifth Avenue and the Avenue of the Americas (Sixth Avenue) in midtown Manhattan, within walking distance of many New York City attractions. It is located one block south of Rockefeller Center, three blocks south of Radio City Music Hall (along the Avenue of the Americas) and three blocks south of St. Patrick's Cathedral (along Fifth Avenue).

Please comment on it.

Ewelina

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I guess in more formal and written speech, "the" is used. I was going by experience; most New Yorkers don't use "the" when referring to it or giving directions. But then again most New Yorkers are always in a hurry.

Talking Re: Avenue

...which is perfectly understood