Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
First of all, i apologise in advance if this threads might be visible elsewhere, but i waited for 2 weeks in hope for some answer, but i got the worst possible outcome: this site has lost this topic in some way, so i'm re-posting it here again, in hope that this time everything goes well. I lost my original request, so i may not be able to explain the whole thing again, and it may sound not related to an english discussion, but i really need this request to be heard, so please bear it with me.

Greetings. I'm a high-school ex-student who's trying to learn how to properly and professionally teach the english language. I'm here because the place (and the country as well) where i live is not giving me any specific answer about the private teaching stuff. I'm asking it because from the time i tried to finish school (tried because i'm still at the final year, or some of you call it the senior year, if i'm correct), i was looking for any job who could help me to build my future. Unfortunately any of my past plans didn't work out at all. and now i'm at a point where if i don't do something, i risk to become homeless, and that's not a statement, it's the truth of my current situation. I tried to take some course who could help with the jobs, i tried to get my high-school graduation and i tried to ask infos about going out of my country; in the end, none of those things worked. I fell in an incredible depression for some year. now i feel that i've overcome it all alone and i don't want to fall for it again and i think that teaching english is my final chance if i want at least to "get a life". i'm gathering all the books, pictures, exercises and any other english stuff before getting started. but as i was saying before, the place where i live is not helping me at all (as usual, i'll explain why in a moment), so i'm here to ask a Request Tips to any single experienced english teacher who can help me in this.

My request is: Can someone tell how a fresh teacher can properly teach the english language to anyone who wants to learn?
(I want to clarify that i want to teach as a private teacher, but not in private schools, which everyone seems to misunderstand me, but when i say "private", i mean "at home", doesn't matter if some student goes in my home or viceversa, i just want to teach and help some people and earn some money, badly...)

Now, for you who may not have realized yet, my username for this website is Dyslexiaman, and that's no joke. i really am Dyslexic and a severe one too. The reasons behind my extreme difficulties in real life are absurd, and any time i try to ask for some help, my country is definitely not the right place. what's worse, i got countless problems during job interviews, so now i'm trying to fix myself with the english (which somehow the english grammar has made me a native english person, since a good amount of people who doesn't live, or who's not born, in my country, told me that i got an universal accent. i'm still asking to myself if it's a good thing or not) and i'm hoping to find a special dyslexic title where it SHOULD (hopefully...) give me special law rules and special help because my life is bad already as it is right now. Anyway, i got the Dyslalia and the Dyspraxia (both physical and linguistic/lingual), which both combined is causing me extreme social issues and it happens that i hurt myself while i do things like simple cleaning the house and such because i'm uncoordinated sometimes. luckily i got a few friends who understand me most of the time, but (unfortunately) i also got an endless amount of people who thinks of me as a demential person, and i shouldn't deserve any right. that's a bit extreme, i'm aware of it, but that's how my situation is. Now i hope that the english language may become my saving grace.

In the case this wasn't clear enough, i add that i don't have any support from third parts, like societies/agencies of any kind (especially one which has only stole money, and i gained nothing in the end...) and any group related to the Dyslexia. The only one who's doing this for me is my mother and no one else; but right now we're in a difficult situation and if only i wasn't in this mess, i'm sure i could do more than this, but since that i'm writing down this topic to all of you, you must have now fully understand that this is a real request.

Long story short, i'll ask my request again: how can i properly teach the english language as a private teacher and at home? i got this extra infos if needed:
- I'm level B2-> C1, which i could easily get the C1 in no time, but money's lacking. Also a lot of foreign people told me i can easily do that, so i take those as good feedbacks.
- I'm researching for some place where my Dyslexia can be put to the test, i'm sure that my case can be of some help, and i also need special titles because without them, my life is basically done for.
- I don't have the high-school graduation title, the teachers who "worked" for me simply ruined my life. they had no idea what Dyslexia was, so they tried to make me lose some school year. i lost 4 because of them during my high-school life. and i'm still at the final year, the fifth. Don't ask me to try again because i started to be depressed after my fourth and last time.

I'll be waiting for your answers, i'm busy for some hour now doing some important stuff (i believe that it won't work today, but i'm trying for like, 12 years now...and that says it a lot of my patience). I hope to find answers from experienced english teachers, especially from who fight against the dyslexia (definitely i need someone who has experience with it, all the people i met in my country were all talk and no facts) because my case HAS to be considered it as a major one, but since my country doesn't care at all, i'm hoping from who lives in Europe, America and especially Canada. Please, this is very important for me, my time (it's not about my life, luckily i'm healthy) is running out, i don't want to become a nobody.

Have a nice day,

Dyslexiaman

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The market for private tutors is competitive and most people working as such would be expected to have a degree and a teaching qualification, so I think that you might find it difficult to attract enough customers, who would gravitate towards people with these. One thing you could try would be language exchanges, where you could practise in an informal environment with learners online. It would give you a taste of what is involved.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
First of all, I apologise in advance if this [STRIKE]threads[/STRIKE] thread might be visible elsewhere, but I waited for 2 weeks in the hope [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] of [STRIKE]some[/STRIKE] an answer, but I got the worst possible outcome: this site has somehow lost [STRIKE]this topic in some way[/STRIKE] my post, so I'm re-posting it here again, in the hope that this time everything goes well. I lost my original request, so I may not be able to explain the whole thing again, and it may sound not related to an English discussion, but I really need this request to be heard, so please bear [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] with me.

Greetings. I'm a high-school [STRIKE]ex-[/STRIKE]student who's trying to learn how to properly and professionally teach the English language. I'm here because the place (and the country [STRIKE]as well[/STRIKE]) where I live [STRIKE]is not giving me[/STRIKE] doesn't have any specific [STRIKE]answer[/STRIKE] information about [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] private teaching. [STRIKE]stuff.[/STRIKE] I'm asking [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] because from the time I tried to finish school (I say "tried" because I'm still [STRIKE]at[/STRIKE] in the final year; [STRIKE]or[/STRIKE] some of you call it the senior year, if I'm correct), I [STRIKE]was[/STRIKE] have been looking for [STRIKE]any[/STRIKE] a job [STRIKE]who[/STRIKE] which could help me to build my future. Unfortunately, [STRIKE]any of[/STRIKE] my past plans didn't work out at all (no full stop here) and now I'm at a point where if I don't do something, I risk [STRIKE]to become[/STRIKE] becoming homeless. [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] That's not [STRIKE]a statement[/STRIKE] an exaggeration, it's the truth of my current situation. I tried to take some courses [STRIKE]who[/STRIKE] which could help [STRIKE]with the[/STRIKE] me to get jobs, I tried to get my high-school [STRIKE]graduation[/STRIKE] certificate/diploma and I have tried to ask for [STRIKE]infos[/STRIKE] information about [STRIKE]going out of[/STRIKE] leaving my country; in the end, none of those things worked. I fell into an incredible depression for [STRIKE]some[/STRIKE] a few years. Now I feel that I've overcome it all alone, [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] I don't want to [STRIKE]fall for it[/STRIKE] get into that situation again and I think that teaching English is my final chance if I want at least to "get a life".

I
'm gathering all the books, pictures, exercises and any other English stuff before getting started. but as I was saying before, the place where I live is not helping me at all (as usual, i'll explain why in a moment), so I'm here to ask [STRIKE]a Request Tips[/STRIKE] for tips [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] from any [STRIKE]single[/STRIKE] experienced English teachers who can help me in this.

My [STRIKE]request[/STRIKE] question is: Can someone tell how a [STRIKE]fresh[/STRIKE] new teacher can properly teach the English language to anyone who wants to learn?
(I want to clarify that I want to teach as a private teacher, but not in private schools, which everyone seems to misunderstand. [STRIKE]me[/STRIKE][STRIKE], but[/STRIKE] When i say "private", I mean "at home"; it doesn't matter if [STRIKE]some[/STRIKE] the students [STRIKE]goes[/STRIKE] come [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] to my home or vice versa; I just want to teach and help some people and earn some money, badly.)

See above then see next post.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Now, for [STRIKE]you[/STRIKE] those who may not have realized yet, my username for this website is Dyslexiaman, and that's no joke. i really am severely dyslexic. [STRIKE]and a severe one too.[/STRIKE] The reasons behind my extreme difficulties in real life are absurd, and any time I try to ask for some help, my country is definitely not [STRIKE]the right place[/STRIKE] helpful. What's worse is that I [STRIKE]got[/STRIKE] have countless problems during job interviews, so now I'm trying to fix myself with [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] English (which somehow the English grammar has made me a native english person, since a good amount of people who doesn't live, or who's not born, in my country, told me that i got an universal accent. (I don't understand the entire underlined section).

I'm still asking [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] myself if it's a good thing or not and I'm hoping to find a special dyslexic title (What is a "dyslexic title?) [STRIKE]where it[/STRIKE] which SHOULD (hopefully...) give me special [STRIKE]law[/STRIKE] rules and special help because my life is bad already as it is right now. Anyway, I [STRIKE]got the[/STRIKE] have both dyslalia and [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] dyspraxia (both physical and linguistic/lingual) which, [STRIKE]both[/STRIKE] combined, [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] are causing me extreme social issues; [STRIKE]and it happens that[/STRIKE] sometimes I hurt myself while I am doing things like simply cleaning the house and such because I'm uncoordinated sometimes. Luckily, I [STRIKE]got[/STRIKE] have a few friends who understand me most of the time, but (unfortunately) [STRIKE]i also got an endless amount of[/STRIKE] there are a lot of people who [STRIKE]thinks[/STRIKE] think of me as a [STRIKE]demential[/STRIKE] demented person, and that I [STRIKE]shouldn't[/STRIKE] don't deserve any rights. That's a bit extreme, I'm aware of it, but that's how my situation is. Now I hope that the English language may become my saving grace.

In [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] case this wasn't clear enough, I want to add that I don't have any support from third parties, like societies/agencies of any kind (especially one which [STRIKE]has[/STRIKE] only stole money, and I gained nothing in the end) [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] or any group related to [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] dyslexia. The only one who's [STRIKE]doing this for[/STRIKE] helping me is my mother and no one else but right now we're in a difficult situation and if only I wasn't in this mess, I'm sure I could do more than this, but [STRIKE]since that i'm[/STRIKE] now that I've written [STRIKE]writing[/STRIKE] this down [STRIKE]this topic to all of you[/STRIKE], you must [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] now fully understand that this is a real request.

Long story short, I'll ask my [STRIKE]request[/STRIKE] question again: How can I properly teach the English language as a private teacher and at home? I [STRIKE]got[/STRIKE] have this extra [STRIKE]infos[/STRIKE] information if needed:
- I'm level B2-> C1. [STRIKE]which[/STRIKE] I could easily get the C1 in no time, but money's lacking. Also, a lot of foreign people told me I can easily do that, so I take [STRIKE]those[/STRIKE] that as good [STRIKE]feedbacks[/STRIKE] feedback.
- I'm researching for some place where my dyslexia can be put to the test. I'm sure that my case can be of some help, and I also need special titles (What are "special titles"?) because without them, my life is basically done for.
- I don't have [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] a high-school [STRIKE]graduation title[/STRIKE] certificate/diploma; the teachers who "worked" for me simply ruined my life. They had no idea what dyslexia was, [STRIKE]so[/STRIKE] and they [STRIKE]tried to make me[/STRIKE] caused me to lose some [STRIKE]school[/STRIKE] years of schooling. I lost 4 years because of them during my high-school life (no full stop here) and I'm still [STRIKE]at[/STRIKE] in the final year, the fifth. Don't ask me to try again because I started to be depressed after my fourth and last time.

I'll be waiting for your answers. I'm busy for [STRIKE]some[/STRIKE] a few hours now doing some important stuff (I believe that it won't work today, but [STRIKE]i'm[/STRIKE] I've been trying for like, 12 years now and that says [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] a lot [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] about my patience). I hope to find answers from experienced English teachers, especially from those who fight against [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] dyslexia (I definitely need someone who has experience with it; all the people I have met in my country were all talk and no facts) because my case HAS to be considered [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] as a major one, but since my country doesn't care at all, I'm hoping to hear from someone who lives in Europe, America and especially Canada. Please, this is very important for me, my time (it's not about my life, luckily i'm healthy) is running out, I don't want to become a nobody.

Have a nice day,

Dyslexiaman

First, please don't be put off by the amount of red in the last two posts. I took the time to correct every single error in punctuation, capitalisation, spelling and grammar just so that you can see what you would be expected to do when marking your students' work. Before teaching others to do anything, you have to be certain that you have a very good grasp of the subject yourself.

I have no experience of dyslexia so feel free to ignore my post but I do have some important points to make.

Being an English teacher is difficult! There are hours of lesson planning, prep, personalising lessons to individual students, research, and marking.

One point concerning me is that you seem to see teaching English as some kind of last ditch attempt to get a job. That is a poor basis to look for any job! You need to really want to do this. You need to be certain that teaching has a specific pull, not that it's just a way to make money.

Dyslexiaman

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
To Tdol: Language exchanges, huh? i'll try them, but it's gonna be hard since my country lacks with those, or it's just my place who lacks them, at least. Thank you for the tip, appreciate it.

To emsr2d2: First of all, I don't feel put off when I see my post in this state, that's the Dyslalia (it attacks the linguistic part of my brain, which often i speak like a "demential person", which I. am. not.) and the Dyspraxia (it makes me forget one single word or letter, or it makes me mess or mix two different good phrases into a bad one, causing mistakes which normally I shouldn't with my current english level, not my fault here) were kicking in, or kicked me in hard at that time. That's not an excuse for me to make so many mistakes. my grade in the past were around B+ or A-, or always around 80 points, but never below. I need to reach my C1 level as soon as possible, really...and while with this "performance" I show myself as a poor student, when I said that I got good feedback from the people in America, they were impressed, like, they went crazy. but those were the good times. maybe my english is a bit rust again, and I don't like it.

Unfortunately I can't, my life experience made me in a way where I try to give my best impression with people I talk or I chat with. And from what I see here...I gave you a bad one. I got used to it, I've always been treated in that way. And I was the honor student in my times...

I know what you mean, totally. You should blame my teachers from where i come from, we have one of the worst school system in the world, right in Europe.

...Look, this post never meant to disrespect the job of a teacher, this job was born in the ancient time, which it helped the humanity to gain the istruction, which I think that everyone have the right to gain it and learn. I never meant to disrespect it, you and your job, so I'm sorry if you felt in that way; but when you said this, "One point concerning me is that you seem to see teaching English as some kind of last ditch attempt to get a job." ...my life is in the last ditch attempt, in the case this wasn't clear enough. I said that I can become a nobody if i don't get one job in the last 3 years, and that's the truth. I NEED to make money, but I promise that i can become a respectable teacher with the experience, behavior and all if only someone would give me the chance and some help through money, which I made it clear too, I don't have any; all the money that my mother gives me to help me, i use them to pay the taxes who are killing us, i can't even afford a walk outside without begging with my friends in the (rare, luckily) case I need a drink. I am not a lucky normal person who can ask or wish for a job and it can receive it right away, and I just got out of my depression all alone, without any help. And I WISH I can find one, I'll my put very soul in that one, even becoming a teacher myself. ...Sorry for the Burst out, but I hate it when someone underestimate me only because of my (unfortunate and severe) condition as a Dyslexic. and I had enough of being treated in that way. I feel like I lost my dignity as a human being, and nothing can help me to have it back.

Anyway, in the case I am not welcome here, please tell me right away. If not, I'd like to have some other option, since that I can't rely on my country, which they'll just "put me off" (sorry, but this fits well) like they always did. Or at least some other forum where i can check them out, I found just 3 from the european websites and I need more of them from the entire world.

Dyslexiaman

PS: I made sure to double check my post before going for it. And let me tell you, this is hard, I waste so much mental energy (not kidding...no, for real, I'm not kidding, never liked jokes or pranks, they ruined me too) in order to make everything I do perfectly. Be mindful of this, please.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Since you said you checked your post very carefully, I feel duty-bound to point out that I noticed one repeated error in your writing. You frequently fail to capitalise the word "I" (it must be capitalised every time you write it) and proper nouns (for example "English" must always be capitalised.

No one is suggesting that you are not welcome here. You are more than welcome here and we will try to help you where we can. However, your issues will mean that you have your work cut out more than most. Let me give you an example. Imagine that one of your students hands you the following piece of work and you have to correct it, in order to teach your student. Would you be able to do it? Please post a response showing us how you would correct this piece of writing.

My Name is sarah and i am from italy. my favourite hobbys are swiming, playing tenis and spending time with my freinds. I realy like going to park and looking at the flours and trees, my freinds like it also.

Dyslexiaman

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Guess I had to make a triple check, I noticed the missing I in multiple places right after the reply, but I had not enough time to correct them all. I'm fully aware of my personal issues, but those are not something I can manage them like everybody else, at least no more. And you just proved my point: the italian teachers are no doing their jobs. The knowledge you just shared here, I don't even remember to have heard it during my own English sessions I've been, like...ever. I'm referring to the "I" and the capitalised proper nouns. Now that i'm aware of it, i'll fix myself where needed. So I honestly thank you for this, you gave me a good English tip where nobody else did in 22 years.

Is it an exam? ...I won't say this one is easy for me, but I'll make sure to not fall for any silly mistakes here.
"My name is Sarah and I am from Italy, my favourite hobbies are swimming, playing tennis, and spending time with my friends. I really like going to the park and looking at the flowers and trees, my friends like it too."
How about it? and by the way, I almost fell for one I right from the "Is it an exam?". Sometimes I do this to myself without noticing, and that's bad for me.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Guess I had to make a triple check. I noticed the missing "I" in multiple places right after the reply, but I [STRIKE]had not[/STRIKE] did not have enough time to correct them all. I'm fully aware of my personal issues, but those are not something I can manage [STRIKE]them[/STRIKE] like everybody else, at least not any more. And you just proved my point: the Italian teachers are not doing their jobs. The knowledge you just shared here - I don't even remember [STRIKE]to have heard[/STRIKE] ever hearing it during my own English [STRIKE]sessions[/STRIKE] lessons. [STRIKE]I've been, like...ever.[/STRIKE] I'm referring to the "I" and the capitalised proper nouns. Now that I'm aware of it, I'll fix it myself where needed. So I honestly thank you for this, you gave me a good English tip [STRIKE]where[/STRIKE] which nobody else did in 22 years.
It's a shame that you failed to capitalise "I" and "Italian" in this paragraph.

Is it an exam? (No need for an ellipsis here) I won't say this one is easy for me, but I'll make sure to not fall for any silly mistakes here.

"My name is Sarah and I am from Italy. My favourite hobbies are swimming, playing tennis, and spending time with my friends. I really like going to the park and looking at the flowers and trees. My friends like it too."

How about it? And, by the way, I almost fell for one "I" right [STRIKE]from[/STRIKE] after the "Is it an exam?" Sometimes I do this to myself without noticing, and that's bad for me.

See above. You did pretty well with the test paragraph but you missed two examples of run-on sentences. However, in your first paragraph, you twice failed to capitalise "I" and once "Italian" which is a little ironic given that those were the rules you were discussing at the time!

I wonder if you would be better trying to get yourself some students who only want to practice their conversational (spoken) English. Of course, we can't comment on the standard/level of your spoken English but you might be able to help people who are just starting out.

Dyslexiaman

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
................Ok, look. I appreciate you do your job as a teacher because I see you love teaching and I congratulate you for this, but I thought that this time you could have been more understandable with me for the fact that with the Dyslexia i have in me, not always I'm in able to focus myself in the right way, and I seriously thought for a moment that we could have done something right, but I have never felt this offended about my English knowledge. For your information, i visited the U.S.A. twice as a turist; And (this is not a grammar mistake, i did it on purpose) on the second visit, an American teacher with some year of teaching experience who I personally met asked me to join for some time as his assistant in some class because of my great speaking skills once he found I wasn't American. The students he had were at an advanced level since they were American too, all of them. I also decided to try out one of their tests just for fun. Got a grade A- with official praise from the very same teacher. He wished I could get the chance to live in U.S.A. because he said to me those words: "If only you could live here, I'd gladly help you with all my might because you got something in you, I can tell. It's such a shame you had to go through all of this stuff. I feel you..." I'll never forget those words. And I wish I had a true chance. I don't care if you don't believe me since you can't be sure of it, and of course it's nothing official because it was a simple agreement for his lessons and nothing more, but I'm still happy for that experience, it made me proud of my English skills...I was fine being corrected all the time just to get a lead to make a proper studying plan, and I was totally fine to have a conversation with you and with your teaching experience since that while this wasn't exactly what I originally asked for, I was still fine to check my skills; but after reading your last post...I don't understand if you're helping me or just making fun of me, which I totally disagree and hate (I did say it in the previous post, it's like i personally warned you about it) for the fact that I MAY be good only for beginners people! Don't misunderstand me here, a teacher like you would be ideal in the school I had to learn the English language because I can take facts such as this thread and I willingly admit my mistakes for the last time, despite the handicaps I have; but for everything else, I should just stop hoping to find someone who could understand me completely. I might as well try to go for it on my own. I'll study very hard, as much as I can (thanks to internet, that is) even though it's gonna hurt my brain a lot, but I really need to make some money, even at cost to look myself as an Idiot (I did it on purpose too, I'm pretty sure you notice it by now).

I'm done. For what I care, you moderators can even delete this thread. It's been a complete waste of valuable time. I'll disappear from this forum in a few hours, I need to take a breath before going insane first. The lack of information about Dyslexia is scary, I thought that this situation existed only in my country, but I was wrong. Good-bye.

Dyslexiaman

PS: I don't have the option to delete my own profile, so I "ask" to the moderators to delete it in my place, if you may.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I can assure you that dyslexia exists all over the world. I found a website for the Italian Dyslexia Association but I imagine you already know about them and have been in touch with them.

I said in my first post, though, that I have no experience with dyslexic students or teachers. I'm sorry if I came across as unsympathetic but I thought it was important for you to realise just what a challenge your current choice of profession will be.

I hope you can find people who can help you along.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
...and talking about a waste of valuable time, what about the hours ems has spent – patiently, painstakingly and sensitively trying to help you – taking the utmost care to choose her words carefully so as to avoid offending you?

Amazingly, she even took the trouble to apologise for appearing unsympathetic when she has been anything but, and must feel deeply hurt by your remarks.

If you are still reading this thread, you need to know that nobody else on this forum (or any others that I know of) could have come anywhere close to giving you the help you were seeking, and you will not find any better advice anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.