apostrophe after 's'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manoffthetelly

Hi,
I don't know whether I should be writing "British Gas's first ever use of..." or "British Gas' first ever use of...".
Or, for variety, "Jonathan Ross's new suit" as opposed to "Jonathan Ross' new suit".
I would also value knowing whether this is a matter of style, or rule. I hope you don't mind me asking even though English is my first language.
Many thanks in anticipation!

A

aliaa

Hi there

The s' or 's is not a matter of style, it is a rule. If the noun ends with an s , put only apostrophe after it, if it doesn't , put the apostrophe then s

All of us have problems with our native languages ;-)

S

sheena55ro

Manoffthetelly said:
Hi,
I don't know whether I should be writing "British Gas's first ever use of..." or "British Gas' first ever use of...".
Or, for variety, "Jonathan Ross's new suit" as opposed to "Jonathan Ross' new suit".
I would also value knowing whether this is a matter of style, or rule. I hope you don't mind me asking even though English is my first language.
Many thanks in anticipation!

IT`S THE GRAMMAR RULE Of THE GENITIVE CASE

If we have a plural form ending in -s, we add only the apostrophe, as in the following example: the boys` bikes

With proper names the situation is different :

The Blakes` mansion - The Blakes is a plural noun[the members of the Blake family]
Mrs Woods`s purse --Mrs Woods is an ordinary person
Cervantes` novels - Cervantes is a well-known foreign writer who died a long time ago
Pythagoras` Theorem - Pythagoras is considered to be a classical[man]
but
Dickens`s prose style - Dickens is famous and died a long time ago but he is English.

Consequently, we can conclude by saying that only the apostrophe is used with classical names [ Roman and Greek] and famous foreign names [ not English] which refer to people who died a long time ago.

Thus, you should be writing : "British Gas's first ever use of..." and "Jonathan Ross's new suit"

Nevertheless, there have been some changes lately regarding these rules, so, you can also say or write "British Gas` first ever use.." without being considered a major mistake,or, at least, this is my opinion on that.
All the best

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Some say that foreign names and surnames should take the second 's', but it's an area that is rapidly becoming a matter of personal choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.