• Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

Powsowdy and using "am" without I

Hello,

I'm currently reading a book by Reginald Hill called The Stranger House but while reading the author's note the first word came up and it's POWSOWDY if needed here's a quote of the sentence:
    " But most of the action of The Stranger House takes place in Cumbria, England, which is the powsowdy the politicians made thirty years ago of the grand old counties of Cumberland and Westermorland, with segments of Lancashire and Yorkshire stapled on to straighten the boundaries and make it fit more easily into a filing cabinet."

and the second question is about the "am",I read a sentence which I haven't in mind yet but the author uses the am without I (by the second time) first he wrote something like "I am...then am...!" What's about that and when it's time to use this kind.

EDIT/
    Another question:
    What's an even break? Here's the poem that include this one:

"Here's some advice a youngster should listen to,
    helpful if taken to heart.
    Be loud against evil wherever you see it;
    never give your enemy an even break."

It's taken out of the same book and its quote out of "The Sayings Of The High One" (Poetica Edda)
    Last edited by Tetsuo; 04-Jul-2006 at 23:55.

Re: Powsowdy and using "am" without I

Hello Tetsuo.

[1] powsowdy (archaic; spelling variant, pousowdie) meaning, "miscellaneous mess", semantic shift from "any mixture of heterogeneous kinds of food."

[2] ellipsis (...) : I am hungry and (I) am waiting for you to make dinner.

[3] even break (idiom), give someone an even break (American & Australian)
    get an even break - if someone gets an even break, they get the same opportunity to improve their situation as other people.

EX: Until now no one had given her an even break to prove what she could do. (Source: thefreedictionary.com)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

Regarding to the I (am) - thing, I understand in the way that I should speak or write or whatever one time, I mean "I am" and after that I can say / write it without the I ? Right? (This means the same sentence so I guess?)

Thanks anyway for clearing my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuo
    ... "I am" and after that I can say / write it without the I ? Right? (This means the same sentence so I guess?)
    Right, but it's also an odd structure. The norm these days it to omit whatever is redundant, which in our example below is "I am" in the second clause:

EX: I am here and I am waiting. <basic structure>
    EX: I am here and am waiting. <'am' left in for emphasis>
    EX: I am here and waiting. <full ellipsis>

All the best.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

So, any example provided is right? That's pretty easy so I need "am" just only to empahsize something or is there some need to have it in sentence?