It is my pleasure to introduce to you ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Dear Admissions Committee

It is my pleasure to introduce to you [full name] who is interested in applying for an admission for a PhD in Clinic Psychology at your university in Britain.

I have known [name] for a decade now. I came to know her when I was her instructor. And I had the pleasure of teaching her six courses throughout her Bachelor and Master Studies. Later, I worked with her in the same field. And as such I am very familiar with her academic achievement and character than most.

I found her confident and creative during class lectures. She came top of the class. She used to achieve an A grade. Also, working with her in the same field, has always proved to be a role model of productive collaboration in a team setting.

[name] also showed an ability to learn the psychological concepts. She showed remarkable problem solving ability, and, if any, needed very little support. Besides, she is charismatic that she can make a huge difference in the world around her—not to mention her excellent communication skills that made a difference already in the department.

To conclude, [name] is (the/a?) person who has the ability to do a research in her field because she is a deeply self-ware individual, driven to explore more and a task-oriented person. I am confident that she will continue to display the same commitment and persistence in everything she does. Therefore, it is my hope that you grant her the honor of admission to your university, as she will be a valuable asset/an excellent candidate to your program. If you need any further information about this promising woman, do not hesitate to contact me at the address below.

Yours sincerely,

We Arabs learners want to further our education in Britain. Our teacher wrote us an Arabic version. But it should have been written in English. I transferred the letter to English, and I would like you to proofread it.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Dear Admissions Committee,

It is my pleasure to [STRIKE]introduce to you[/STRIKE] recommend to you [full name] who is interested in applying for [STRIKE]an[/STRIKE] admission [STRIKE]for a PhD in Clinic Psychology at[/STRIKE] into your university to pursue a PhD in clinical psychology. [STRIKE]Britain.[/STRIKE]

I have known [name] for a decade now. I came to know her when I was her instructor, and I had the pleasure of teaching her six courses throughout her bachelor's and master's studies. Later, I worked with her in the same field. And as such, I am very familiar with her academic achievement and character. [STRIKE]than most.[/STRIKE]

I have always found [STRIKE]her[/STRIKE] Ms Jones to be confident and creative as a student. [STRIKE]during class lectures.[/STRIKE] She came top of the class [STRIKE]She used to[/STRIKE] and consistently achieved an A grade in her various subjects. Also, working with her in the same field has always proved to be a [STRIKE]role[/STRIKE] model of productive collaboration in a team setting.

[name] also showed an exceptional ability to learn the psychological concepts, [STRIKE]. She showed[/STRIKE] and she has remarkable problem-solving skills, as well as the capacity to work independently. [STRIKE]ability, and, if any, needed very little support.[/STRIKE] Besides, she is charismatic [STRIKE]that she[/STRIKE] and can make a [STRIKE]huge[/STRIKE] real difference in the world around her—not to mention her excellent communication skills. [STRIKE]that made a difference already in the department.[/STRIKE]

To conclude, [name] [STRIKE]is (the/a?) person who[/STRIKE] has the ability to [STRIKE]do[/STRIKE] successfully conduct research in her field because she is a deeply self-aware individual, driven to explore more, and a task-oriented person. I am confident that she will continue to display the same commitment and diligence [STRIKE]persistence[/STRIKE] in everything she does.

[STRIKE]Therefore, it is my hope that you grant her the honor of admission to your university, as she will be a valuable asset/an excellent candidate to your program.
[/STRIKE]
If you need any further information about Ms Jones, [STRIKE]this promising woman,[/STRIKE] do not hesitate to contact me at the address below.

Yours faithfully, [STRIKE]sincerely,[/STRIKE]

MeyaN

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
" applying for an admission "
Why is usage of the article "an" incorrect here?

But not here - "
achieved an A grade in her.."

Thank you.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq

MeyaN

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Thank you. "Grade" is a singular countable noun. But can "A grade" be put in that category?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you. "Grade" is singular countable noun. But can "A grade" be put in that category?

Yes.

How many "A grades" did you get?
I got four.

Did you get an "A grade" when you were at school?
Unfortunately not. The best I achieved was a few Bs.

Note that in BrE, we don't usually combine the letter with the word "grade". If the context makes it clear that we're talking about grades/marks/results, the letter suffices.

How many As did you get in your exams?
Three.
How did you do overall?
I got three As, four Bs and a C.

Status
Not open for further replies.