• Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Diary

Hi there!

I'm helping somebody to become a fluent English user and gave him the idea of writing on a diary. The person is resistant to it, saying that speaking is the only thing that he needs to practice. Then, I came up with this short argument to encourage him. Would you guys suggest on the text, please?

First select who’s going to create a diary: yourself or some fictional character. Then, use Google Calendar to assign some minutes to work with it. Drop a few lines, as often as possible.

This is the activity to improve your writing skills. Writing acts differently on your brain than speaking. Since it takes more time to be done, it allows you to think ahead and carefully select the vocabulary you really want to use. Speaking, on the other hand, is so fast, that, sometimes, we use words that we did not want, simply because we did not take the time to think ahead.

Also, writing activities are easier to be reviewed. If you feel comfortable with, create the good habit of reading what you produce before you finish. The mistakes corrected by yourself are better internalized in your brain than those appointed by me.

Cheers,
    Tito

VIP Member
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: Diary

Quote Originally Posted by TitoBr View Post
    I'm helping somebody to become a fluent English user and gave him the idea of writing on a diary. The person is resistant to it, saying that speaking is the only thing that he needs to practice.
    If he feels that speaking is the only thing he needs to practise (BrE spelling), then I see little point in forcing him to practise writing. Many fluent native speakers have poor writing skills, so what is the point of working on learners' writing skills if they are not going to write?