Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Canada
Hello, why is my (!) thread closed, although there is a problem just when other users can't behave? I have a question as in another thread Goesstation and Pisecean posted different answers to a question. But only one can be correct? And there is no answer yet. I am sorry if the soulution may be simple, but I am here to learn and I learned that it is good to ask again, if there are still difficulties, before moving on. And I think I am a very friendly guy who can listen to people and only wants help. :)

It's about this post #22 https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/threads/243658-Assessment-centre?p=1280052&viewfull=1#post1280052

Goesstation answers:
The other answer would be "Yes, they are." This would contradict A's statement, meaning that Bill and George are the same person.

In post #24 Goesstation explains that the sentence "This would contradict A's statement, meaning that Bill and George are the same person." refers to the answer "Yes, they are."

In post #41 Piscean says this is wrong: And you told me that the whole clause refers back to B's statement "yes, they are", correct? - No!

So what to believe now? Piscean or Goesstation?

juanitoh

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Canada
Honestly, that's unfriendly as nothing. This forum is for helping people, and there are difficulties. You told something else then Goesstation, so the forum wants to know who is right. And there is a wrong answer in a thread, this can't be left there. Why do you want to leave a wrong answer in the thread?

You tell X, Goesstation Y. Solution: Close thread.
This can't be the solution. We have to find the correct answer, and one has to be wrong, either you or Goesstation. But the wrong answer can't be left alone without a correction. You even confuse people years later if they find the thread with two different answers in post #24 and post #41.

juanitoh

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Canada
Maybe.

But I want at least someone else or Goesstation to please answer my question, why in post #24 Goesstation explains that the sentence "This would contradict A's statement, meaning that Bill and George are the same person." refers to the answer "Yes, they are." and in post #41 Piscean says that it doesn't refer to the answer "Yes, they are."

If only that's solved I would even donate for the forum and never ask any questions on this topic again.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Very sweet- we have a baby troll who's taking their first steps into spoofing IPs and thinks that will fool us. Could I just tell our new friend in Germany that we have had many trolls over the years, including two world class ones, so go ahead and do your worst. Spend every evening creating email addresses to open accounts and launch your attacks. We will barely even notice the ripples. The old days of forum wars are behind us, and the great trolls have moved on to the low-hanging fruit of social media. You'd have better luck there- you've been rumbled here.

Status
Not open for further replies.