• Native Language:
      • Finnish
      • Home Country:
      • Finland
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

Question Improving pronunciation with tongue twisters

Hello!

English is a second language to me and I've been trying to improve the ease and clarity of pronunciation using tongue twisters. They have helped me over the course of a couple days, but my question is if tongue twisters would still give me extra benefits in terms of being able to speak English fast & with clarity and ease if I trained them over months and years.

With clarity, I mean that people can easily understand me. With ease, I mean not having to consciously think of how to pronounce certain words or sounds when speaking, but rather them coming naturally.

Thanks.

2. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Improving pronunciation with tongue twisters

I don't know if this has been studied scientifically, but I think that practicing tongue twisters can only help.
    I am not a teacher.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

It will help you if you have someone who can listen and tell you if your pronunciation is right or not. If you keep repeating a tongue twister over and over again with incorrect pronunciation, there's a danger that you will cement that pronunciation in your mind and it will become more difficult to change it in future.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

4. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    It will help you if you have someone who can listen and tell you if your pronunciation is right or not. If you keep repeating a tongue twister over and over again with incorrect pronunciation, there's a danger that you will cement that pronunciation in your mind and it will become more difficult to change it in future.
    That's a very good point. In the Polish tongue-twister I linked to above, I discovered a few years ago that I'd been pronouncing trzcinie as if it were spelled "trzczinie" since I first learned it in my childhood. (Its correct pronunciation is even harder than my incorrect one, even though there's one less letter.) It took some time to overcome the error.
    I am not a teacher.