Songs connected with culture

• Thread starter Natalee92
  • Start date
  • Views : 24,223
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Natalee92

I am preparing a presentation about teaching through songs. I have read in books that one of the advantages of using songs in language teaching is that they help students expand their cultural knowledge. In what ways can this happen? could you give me an example please?

Last edited by a moderator:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I would be glad to learn why that is better. I would have used what the OP used.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If you play songs, students will acquire some sort of knowledge of the culture behind the songs, though I can't see this happening unless you play a lot of songs.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I think they're implying that the songs should be English songs about Anglophone country behaviours, not about Poland.

JoshEsl

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
South Korea
Hi, this is a very interesting topic.

To answer your question - I would say the first thing you need to do is to decide what element of culture you are trying to teach? Are you trying to teach about an actual event (e.g., American Pie (1971) by Don McLean about a plane crash that killed Buddy Holly and several other musicians), a movement (e.g., Bob Dylan = peace and anti-war movement), or even music as it has helped shape culture (e.g., Elvis, Michael Jackson, or Jazz).

Once you have decided the angle you wish to take it could be wise to select songs that are both age and level (English level and school level) appropriate. There is no use using a song where the students don’t actually understand the importance of the message even if they understand the English (e.g., is there any value in teaching, say, young Korean EFL students about Live Aid/ Live 8 when they have no concept of economics, poverty, or protest movements?)

Right, now we have made appropriate choices it is time to engage the students. Get them to relate the song to their beliefs or culture etc. Get them to play with the new words and metaphors etc. Get them to engage with the song by singing, dancing, or acting out the story.
Culture is alive – so teach it like it is alive.

I hope this helps,
Josh

Last edited by a moderator:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Josh, please read the following forum rule and act upon it before posting again:

Profile names should be real names or avatars, not advertisements. If your profile name is either a web address or the name of a product then this equates to it being an advertisement and you will be required to change it. You request to change it by following the FAQ entry called 'How do I change my username?'. If you refuse to change it you will be banned for attempting to spam our forum.

I have not deleted your post as it contains advice which will be useful to the OP.

Last edited:

Paul78

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Songs are definitely part of culture. If you listen to music from some country you automatically become more familiar with its culture.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Songs are definitely part of culture. If you listen to music from [STRIKE]some[/STRIKE] a country, you automatically become more familiar with its culture.

Note my correction above. We don't use "some country" in this way. If you want to use "some", you could have said "some countries" and changed "its" to "their". However, that changes the meaning because the reader will assume that there is a pre-defined list of countries for which this is true.

I disagree with the general sentiment too. You could listen to hundreds of British pop songs without getting any information whatsoever about British culture.

Status
Not open for further replies.