Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hi everyone,

Here's my essay for the TOEFL writing test 1 (Integrated Test).

Could you please check my grammar, or give me some advice about the structure of this essay so that I could improve my writing skills.
I would also appreciate it a lot if you could grade my essay on the scale of 30, I really need to know how much score I could get by now.
Thank you so much.

------
The author introduced about polysemy words, which have several different meanings in just one word. Meanwhile, the speakers pointed out a special group of polysemy which actually have many opposite meanings.

The author told us about a very common phenomenon in English called polysemy. Sound is one polysemic word, it can be used to prefer a noise as a noun or to prefer a state of health as an adjective. Otherwise, it has 12 meanings as a verb, 4 meanings in verb phrases, and 2 meaning as an adverb. One more example is the word set, which has only 3 letters but is considered one of the words that have the most different ways of using.

The speaker showed us that the polysemy words just not simply have many different meanings, but in some case, have opposite meanings. For example, the words bolt and fast. When you bolt something, it means you lock it, but when you bolt, that means you run very fast. In the same way, the word fast sometimes mean you lock something, but when used with run or go , it means you move very quickly. Another example for polysemy word that has opposite meanings is sanction. The word sanction both means that you permit somebody to do something, but in the phrase “put sanction on somebody”, it means that you don’t allow them to do so.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
First point - we don't "introduce about" anything.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hi everyone,

Here's my essay for the TOEFL writing test 1 (Integrated Test).

Could you please check my grammar, or give me some advice about the structure of this essay so that I could improve my writing skills?

I would also appreciate it a lot if you could [STRIKE]grade[/STRIKE] mark my essay [STRIKE]on the scale[/STRIKE] out of 30; I really need to know [STRIKE]how much[/STRIKE] what score I could get by now.

Thank you so much.

------
The author introduces [STRIKE]d about[/STRIKE] polysemy, [STRIKE]words,[/STRIKE] which is the term for words that have several different meanings in just one word. Meanwhile, the speaker points [STRIKE]ed[/STRIKE] out a special group of polysemic words which actually have [STRIKE]many[/STRIKE] opposite meanings.

The author [STRIKE]told[/STRIKE] tells us about a very common phenomenon in English called polysemy. Sound is one polysemic word; it can be used to [STRIKE]prefer[/STRIKE] refer to a noise as a noun or to [STRIKE]prefer[/STRIKE] a state of health as an adjective. Otherwise, it has 12 meanings as a verb, 4 meanings in verb phrases, and 2 meaning as an adverb. One more example is the word set, which has only 3 letters but is considered one of the words that has a wide variety of meanings.[STRIKE]have the most different ways of using.[/STRIKE]

The speaker shows [STRIKE]ed[/STRIKE] us that [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] polysemic words not just [STRIKE]not[/STRIKE] simply have many different meanings, but in some case, have opposite meanings - for example, the words bolt and fast. When you bolt something, it means you lock it, but when you bolt, that means you run very fast. In the same way, the word fast sometimes means the adverb "securely", [STRIKE]you lock something,[/STRIKE] but when used with run or go, it means you move very quickly. Another example [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] of a polysemic word that has opposite meanings is sanction. The word sanction both means that you permit somebody to do something, but in the phrase “put a sanction on somebody”, it means that you don’t allow them to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.