Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I am wondering if my sentence sounds natural. Would you please correct my mistakes?

Diana's friends asked her why she was still unmarried, and she replied she would rather stick to her career.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It sounds OK to me.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The idiom works OK but the sentiment is rather retrograde. The days when women routinely traded a career for marriage are long past. Diana might want to reply she would rather keep giving her career 100% of her attention or words to that effect.

Last edited by a moderator:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Consider using "focus on" instead of "stick to" in that sentence.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
To me, a career might come before having children, but I can't see that being married would have such an impact on her working life nowadays.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you wanted to indicate that she was so focused on her career that she didn't have time for romantic relationships, it would make more sense. In the majority of western cultures these days, there is no connection between being married/single and having/not having a career.

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
My question was about a sentence. I did not ask anyone about the women in the 21th century.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
My question was about a sentence. I did not ask anyone about [strike]the[/strike] women in the [STRIKE]21th[/STRIKE] 21st century.

The first few comments referred specifically to the sentence. We then elected to try to help you further by giving some more information which might help you when dealing with different cultures. If you (or Diana) gave that explanation for being unmarried, it would be met with some confusion by a lot of people. In addition, you might not be interested in our comments but other learners might well be. Bear that in mind in future. Feel free to ignore any useful information if you don't want to know it.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's a public forum and other people from many countries and cultures may read the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.