• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

requestig sb to turn down the music

Which option do you think is the most appropriate? Is there any better way of making a request in such a situation?
    This question has been derived from a test battery developed by Liu (2007).

You are trying to study in your room and you hear loud music coming from another student's room down the hall. You don't know the student, but you decide to ask him to turn the music down.

1. Excuse me, what’s name of the music? Sounds good, I like it. But, oh, I’m sorry it is not the right time, I’m just doing some important work. Do you mind turning it down? Thanks so much. I wish I have another chance to listen to it, but not now.
    2. Hello! Would you like to turn down the music? Some people are now studying, and some are sleeping.
    3. Hey! I've got an exam tomorrow so would you mind turning the tunes down a little?
    Last edited by tulipflower; 20-Nov-2016 at 14:52.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: requestig sb to turn down the music

You're never going to get a straight "That one's better than that one" answer to all these posts you're making. The options you're giving us bear no similarity to each other. They vary in complexity and politeness. Context would dictate what you might say. For example,

If it's the first time it's happened, you might knock on the door, wait for it to be opened, then say "Hi. Could you turn the music down a bit please? I'm really trying to study".
    If you've already complained about someone's loud music several times before, on this occasion you might go round there, bang on the door and yell "For crying out loud, I've told you a million times, turn the bl**dy music down. I'm studying!"

Another reminder - don't start questions with "How to" as you did in your title.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

3. Member
    Academic
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Thanks. Is there any difference between 'would you like to .....' and ' Would you mind .....' regarding the level of politeness?
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 18-Nov-2016 at 16:55. Reason: Deleting quote. We didn't need to read it all again.

4. Moderator
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

They are equally polite.

5. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

I would use would you mind when complaining- would you like gives them too much leeway not to comply IMO.