Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

subject in imperative mood, future perfect, and therefore as a subordinate conjunctio

I am actually a parent attempting to help my son on some wrong answers on a quiz. I was sure there were several that were just marked incorrectly, but after emailing his teacher, she has confirmed that we are wrong. Granted, it has been a long time since I minored in English, so I could have lost a great deal of knowledge, but I feel like I'm in an altered reality right now. Can someone confirm that the teacher is indeed correct, and I should seek to take a refresher course. Her response to my original question is in black, my thoughts are in blue.

1. Mix the ground beef with the chopped onion and pepper, then add the bread crumbs and eggs. The correct answer is sentence. This is not a compound sentence because there needs to be two independent clauses. An independent clause must have all of the following: subject, verb and complete thought. “add the bread crumbs and eggs” is missing a subject and complete thought; therefore it is not an independent clause.

"Add" is a direct command in the imperative mood, the implied subject is "you". It is indeed a complete sentence in the same way that "Clean your room" is a complete sentence.

2. If we are not able to solve the problem, the consequences will be dire--something no one wants. The correct answer for this question is no change. Dashes are used to add parenthetical statements or a comment. Dashes are also used to create emphasis in a sentence. If writing formally, one would use a bracket not a dash.

This is not a dash (—), these are two hyphens (--). This is not a proper use of the hyphen. The two are not interchangeable and that answer is incorrect, as hyphens are not used in this manner.

3. By the time I finished, I redecorated the living room for over a week. The correct answer for this question is “will have redecorated”. The future perfect tense states that something will happen before another something else in the future. It can also show that something will happen before a specific time in the future. For example: By next November, I will have received my promotion. By the time I finish this course, I will have taken ten tests. I have included a link to a video for further reference. https://youtu.be/dXQycMakyRw

In your example, "By next November" or "By the time I finish this course" are both sometime in the future, so the future perfect would apply. That is not the case with "finished", which is in the past. If the sentence was "By the time I finish...", it would be correct.

4. I am interested in a career in teaching, I decided to volunteer at the elementary school. The correct answer to this question is “teaching, so”. The emphasis is not on the capital t but on the coordinating conjunction “so”. Your son chose “teaching, therefore”. This answer would be incorrect. Subordinating conjunctions require a semicolon and a comma after the
    term if it is two syllables or more. For example: “teaching; therefore,”. I did however, change the “t” to lowercase.

"Therefore" is not a subordinating conjunction, it is a coordinating conjunction. It is also a conjunctive adverb and requires a semicolon before it. Ironically, this lesson is entirely on conjunctions but does not address this. However, the capital "T" in "Teaching" in the middle of the sentence makes the sentence incorrect and the most egregious error. In an ACT course, students are taught to eliminate all the incorrect answers. That answer would be eliminated immediately, it is not up to the student to guess if it was an editing mistake.

5. Seeing as you are still shaken from the encounter, it is understandable;however, you will survive. The correct answer for this question is “even if however”. “Even if” expresses a condition whereas “since” expresses cause or reason.

Since expresses cause or reason. They feel they will not survive SINCE they are understandably shaken from the event, BUT they will survive. Not- They feel they will not survive EVEN IF they are understandably shaken from the event, however they will survive.

2. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: subject in imperative mood, future perfect, and therefore as a subordinate conjun

You are right on question 1.

In question 2, you're on shaky ground. Before the dash was available as a character, we typed two hyphens in place of a dash. I still do that when I want a dash in MS Word, which automatically converts them -- though I recently discovered Word does the same thing if I type space, hyphen, space between two words. I used two hyphens in place of a dash in the previous sentence because this forum's editor doesn't provide a dash character. I padded the hyphens with a space on each side, which is the strictly correct convention, but I wouldn't blink if the spaces were missing.

I'd drop question 2. It seems unproductively antagonistic to the teacher.

Two questions is enough for one post so I'll stop here.
    I am not a teacher.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: subject in imperative mood, future perfect, and therefore as a subordinate conjun

Quote Originally Posted by cc078 View Post

3. By the time I finished, I redecorated the living room for over a week. The correct answer for this question is “will have redecorated”. The future perfect tense states that something will happen before another something else in the future. It can also show that something will happen before a specific time in the future. For example: By next November, I will have received my promotion. By the time I finish this course, I will have taken ten tests. I have included a link to a video for further reference. https://youtu.be/dXQycMakyRw

In your example, "By next November" or "By the time I finish this course" are both sometime in the future, so the future perfect would apply. That is not the case with "finished", which is in the past. If the sentence was "By the time I finish...", it would be correct.

The whole thing is a bit of a mess.

By the time I finish, I will have been redecorating the living room for over a week.
    By the time I finished, I had been redecorating the living room for over a week.

See above for my comment on #3.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

VIP Member
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by cc078 View Post
    4. [...]
    "Therefore" is not a subordinating conjunction, it is a coordinating conjunction.
    It is neither.

It is also a conjunctive adverb and requires a semicolon before it.
    Correct.