Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
Could somebody please explain the meaning of "a criminal to boot"? I saw it in many articles but cannot find an explanation for what it means.
Thanks!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Please give us a full sentence to consider. I find it unlikely that you've seen the four words together in many articles but you might have seen "to boot" in lots of different contexts. When you give us a full sentence, we'll be able to explain.

Nyani007

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
Thank you!
At first, I saw it in a story by Patricia Highsmith:
"You are a criminal to boot? Not merely disorganised in your way of life, but a psychopath? Did you by chance cut off your wife's hand?"

Then I looked for it and found this:

"... Smells like a drain and a criminal to boot, but she's no better, nasty old blood traitor with her brats messing up my Mistress's house."

Doctors are setting out day by day to try to treat people and make them better. Emotionally, it can be devastating when something goes wrong. What can then happen is that it's suggested that not only did you get it wrong, but you're a criminal to boot and the police want to speak to you.

If you are the man to whom I thought I was married, then I call you my husband and my king; but if not, I have changed my condition for the worse, since you are not only a coward but a criminal to boot.

By any just standard, Hillary Clinton is a corrupt, pathological liar with no moral fiber, and she's most likely a criminal to boot.

Jay Gatsby’s criminally procured wealth might buy him unimaginable excess and some really, really, really great parties, but it’s all meaningless. I tell them that he will forever be nouveau riche tat, and a criminal to boot, with a library of symbolically unopened book

Nyani007

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
Thank you
icon_smile.gif
It did answer my question.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Did you consider consulting online dictionaries before asking here?

Status
Not open for further replies.