Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Good morning,

First of all, I would like to introduce myself - I am interested to languages in general, and at the moment, I am doing a refresher course in English.

I have recently stumbled over the problem of how to form the simple past / past participle / gerund form of English verbs. I made a rule, and I would like to ask if it is correct:

In case of regular verbs, if one - and not two - stressed vowel is followed by a consonant, the consonant is doubled and then followed by -ed.
Exception: in British English, "to travel" becomes "travelled, travelling" even though the e is unstressed.

examples:
planned, donned, but: leaned, abandoned

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Your rule works in American English for words of more than one syllable.

For one-syllable words, the final consonant is doubled if the presence of the added e would otherwise change the pronunciation.

dreoilín

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Thank you for your advice. I have revised my rule for British English as follows:

If an English word ends in one vowel + one consonant, the final consonant may be doubled when the –ing-form or the –ed-form is spelt.

- This happens in one-syllable words if the –ed-form or the ing-form would entail a pronunciation change, e. g. donning, donned.

- It also happens in words with more than one syllable if the word's stress is on the last syllable and if the –ed-form or the ing-form would entail a pronunciation change, e. g. allotted, allotting

Exception: In British English, there is a gemination of the letter “l“ in words which end in an unstressed –el: e. g. travelling, travelled.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I've seen the BrE rules but I don't want to comment on them except that I'm pretty sure Brits double the final consonant a lot more often than they would suggest.

If you leave out the last sentence, your rules work in AmE.

Status
Not open for further replies.