Academic
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

How can I ask my manager to scheduale the job interview for another day?

Which option do you think is the most appropriate? Is there any better way of making this request in such a situation? This question has been derived from a pragmatics test developed by Liu (2007).

You are applying for a new job in a small company and want to make an appointment for an interview. You know the manager is very busy and only schedules interviews in the afternoon from one to four o'clock on Wednesday. However, you have to take the final-term exam this Wednesday. You want to schedule an interview on Thursday.

A. I have an exam on Wednesday. Would it be possible to schedule the interview for sometime on Thursday?
    B. Sir, I’m glad to learn that your company offers a job. I like it very much, I don’t know whether an interview on Thursday is suitable to you or not.
    C. Excuse me, sir. I wish it doesn’t take much time for you to schedule an interview on Thursday. I want you to give me a chance because I really want to work in your company.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 21-Nov-2016 at 09:29. Reason: Put A, B and C on separate lines to make post easier to read

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: How can I ask my manager to scheduale the job interview for another day?

Quote Originally Posted by tulipflower View Post
    Which option do you think is the most appropriate? Is there any better way of making this request in such a situation? This question has been derived from a pragmatics test developed by Liu (2007).

You are applying for a new job in a small company and want to make an appointment for an interview. You know the manager is very busy and only schedules the interviews in the afternoon from one to four o'clock will be scheduled only between 1pm and 4pm on Wednesday. However, you have to take the final-term exam this Wednesday. You want to schedule an interview on Thursday.

A. I have an exam on Wednesday. Would it be possible to schedule the interview for sometime on Thursday?

B. Sir, I’m glad to learn that your company offers a job. I was delighted to receive the job offer. I like it very much, Unfortunately, I am unable to attend an interview on Wednesday. I don’t know whether an interview on Thursday is suitable to you or not. Would it be possible to attend on Thursday?

C. Excuse me, sir. I wish it doesn’t take much time for you to schedule an interview on Thursday. I want you to give me a chance because I really want to work in your company.
    I haven't taken the time to show corrections to this one because there are just too many of them. It's badly worded, inappropriate and grammatically incorrect.
    See above. It's a shame that there are so many errors in the sentences that "Liu" is suggesting. The best answer would be a combination of A and B.

Dear Sir (or Mr XXXX)

I was delighted to receive the offer of the position of [name of job]. However, I am unable to attend the interview at [time] on Wednesday [date] because I have my final exam that afternoon.
    Under the circumstances, would it be possible for my interview to be rescheduled to Thursday [date]?

I look forward to hearing from you.

[Name]
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.