Student or Learner
Native Language
Malay
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Hi to all lovely teachers!
I have few sentences for your kind attention. I've corrected them according to my limited knowledge of English grammar.

1. Since the study involved future health care providers, two higher learning institutions which represent both public and private universities were selected from this area based on the medical and health sciences courses that were offered in those institutions.

2. (My version) Since the aim of the study was to involve future health care providers, two higher learning institutions representing both public and private universities were selected from this area based on the medical and health sciences courses that were offered in those institutions.

3. Most of these students lacked awareness of their future consequences and majority of them had unprotected sex with multiple partners.
4. (My version) Most of these students lacked the awareness of their future consequences and majority of them had unprotected sex with multiple partners.

I look forward to receiving a positive response from all of you!

kind regards,

mektok;-)

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Re: help me on these sentences

1. Since the study involved future healthcare providers, two higher-learning institutions which represent both public and private universities were selected from this area based on the medical and health-sciences courses that were offered in those institutions.

3. Most of these students lacked awareness of the potential [STRIKE]ir future[/STRIKE] consequences of their actions, and the majority of them had unprotected sex with multiple partners.

#2 is not a better version of #1.
#4 is not a better version of #3.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have changed your thread title. You posted this thread (twice) with the title "help me on these sentences" (grammatically incorrect, by the way). Titles must include some/all of the words/phrases you are asking about.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I would say:

Most of those students lacked awareness of the possible consequences of their actions, and the majority of them had had unprotected sex with multiple partners.

mektok

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malay
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia

Marvellous Tarheel, I really appreciate it. May I know why we use "had had" instead of "had" only? Is it because we want to emphasize it?
And one more thing, why "help me on these sentences" is grammatically wrong? I have seen people use this as their subject.

kind regards,

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

It should be "Help me with these sentences" but it's inappropriate as a thread title.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Marvellous Tarheel, I really appreciate it. May I know why we use "had had" instead of "had" only? Is it because we want to emphasize it?
And one more thing, why "help me on these sentences" is grammatically wrong? I have seen people use this as their subject.

kind regards,

"Why" questions are always much harder to answer than "what" questions. (Maybe I will come up with an answer if I sleep on it.) In any case, it is not for emphasis.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sex Survey 1

I would say:

Most of those students lacked awareness of the possible consequences of their actions, and the majority of them had had unprotected sex with multiple partners.

In short, it's past perfect. For a fuller explanation see: www.quickanddirtytips.com and see: "When Are Double Words OK?".

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I would say:

Upon further consideration, I have decided you don't need the second "had" in that sentence. (It is simple past and not past perfect.)

Status
Not open for further replies.