• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Question Bilbo vs. Gandalf--who is a discusser?

"As Bilbo listened to the talk of Gandalf he realized that at last they were going to escape really and truly from the dreadful mountains. He was discussing plans with the Great Eagle..."

1. From these sentences I would say that Bilbo was discussing plans with the Great Bilbo, though it is not true for sure. Ain't I right?
    2. I would put a comma before "he realized,"--is it a matter of style? I've always thought that in such a situation a comma should be there.

Best,
    Nyggus
    Last edited by nyggus; 06-Jul-2006 at 21:21.

Re: Bilbo vs. Gandalf--who is a discusser?

I Think Bilbo...

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Quote Originally Posted by Bernadetta
    I Think Bilbo...
    It is enough to read the book to know that Gandalf was discussing--it easily follows from the context, but it certainly does not follow from the sentences...

Nyggus

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Question Re: Bilbo vs. Gandalf--who is a discusser?

Quote Originally Posted by nyggus
    "As Bilbo listened to the talk of Gandalf he realized that at last they were going to escape really and truly from the dreadful mountains. He was discussing plans with the Great Eagle..."

1. From these sentences I would say that Bilbo was discussing plans with the Great Bilbo, though it is not true for sure. Ain't I right?
    2. I would put a comma before "he realized,"--is it a matter of style? I've always thought that in such a situation a comma should be there.

Best,
    Nyggus
    -- Anybody else?

Bilbo is listening to Gandalf talking. I think (I can't remember, it's a long time since I read the book) that he's listening to Gandalf talking with the Great Eagle.

A comma is not necessary before "he realized". In many European languages, commas are needed to set off subordinate clauses from main clauses, but in English this isn't necessary. It's probably not wrong to use a comma here, and certainly I would naturally do so, but I have been criticised in the past for using too many commas.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Quote Originally Posted by rewboss
    Bilbo is listening to Gandalf talking. I think (I can't remember, it's a long time since I read the book) that he's listening to Gandalf talking with the Great Eagle.
    Thanks, Rewboss. The point is that I know that Bilbo is listening to Gandalf talking, but for me the second sentence might be confusing, since the he naturally should refer to Bilbo, not to Gandalf; in this sentence, however, it is obvious that the he refers to Gandalf, and this is the reason why I felt confused while reading the paragraph (even though I knew who and to whom).

Best,
    Nyggus