Student or Learner
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Netherlands
Hello, my name is Michel.
I'm 19 years old and from the Netherlands.

I'm almost done with my study and I want to go to Japan for a year (study year)
An acquaintance of my mothers her colleague where I'm really familiar with knows someone in Japan.
The colleague wanted me to to write a letter from her perspective introducing myself. (because she doesn't speak English very well. )

My English isn't so great either so I hope you will be able to help me a little bit with everything to make a good email. :)
In the mail I want to:

-make a opening from my colleague's perspective her name is Alice telling I want to go to Japan and tell that I have a send her a mail to send to him (or something like this)

-introduce myself

-tell why I'm interested in going to Japan

-what I will be doing in japan and for how long

-ask if they know people where I could stay or if I could stay with them while being in Japan

-proper ending of the mail

I will start working on the mail once I posted this and I will place the result down here.

Friendly greetings Michel Jurgens

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Before we go on, please use the Edit Post function to capitalise the word "I" throughout your post, and to change "u" to "you". There was no need to capitalise "colleagues" or "greetings".

Leonardoven

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Netherlands
Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Before we go on, please use the Edit Post function to capitalise the word "I" throughout your post, and to change "u" to "you". There was no need to capitalise "colleagues" or "greetings".

I hope everything is correct now, Thank you for the quick response!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There are still two uncapitalised "I"s and I noticed that "knows" has been incorrectly capitalised. You might think I'm being pedantic but it's important to get the basics right before moving to anything more complicated.

Leonardoven

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Netherlands
There are still two uncapitalised "I"s and I noticed that "knows" has been incorrectly capitalised. You might think I'm being pedantic but it's important to get the basics right before moving to anything more complicated.
Okay I see, [I'm) needs a capital I aswell and I also changed the capital letter from "knows" I will do my best to learn from the mistakes I make.

Leonardoven

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Netherlands
That's a rather ironic error!
Haha, I've been typing english without capitalizing the letter 'i' for more then 7 years. They never learned me this at school I will try my best but mistakes are bound to happen!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Haha, I've been typing English without capitalizing the [STRIKE]letter[/STRIKE] word 'I' for more [STRIKE]then[/STRIKE] than 7 years. They never [STRIKE]learned[/STRIKE] taught me this at school. I will try my best but mistakes are bound to happen!

See above.

Now, on to your original post. Why don't you just write the letter, post it (in a new thread) and we'll look at it?

Leonardoven

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Netherlands
Okay, if i understand it correctly:

Languages are written with a capital letter, I is a word :-?
and they never taught me to capitalize the word I so I learned it wrong?

I will post my mail once I'm finished writing it in a different thread.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Okay, if I understand it correctly:

Languages are written with a capital letter. I is a word. :-?
[strike]and[/strike] They never taught me to capitalize the word I so I learned it wrong?

I will post my mail once I'm finished writing it in a different thread.

The letter "i" is a letter and is usually not capitalised unless it's the first letter of a sentence (or it's a standalone word). When we talk about the word "I" (first person singular pronoun), it must be capitalised. That includes anything that contains the first person singular pronoun:

I
I'm (I am)
I've (I have)
I'd (I would)
I'll (I will)

All proper nouns must be capitalised. That includes the names of companies, books, authors, films, languages, countries, cities, streets and many other things.

I wouldn't say that you learned it wrong. You didn't learn it at all if they didn't teach it to you. If they had taught you to capitalise "I" but you thought they said "Don't capitalise i​", then you would have learned it wrong.

One more thing about your original post - you misspelled "writing" in your title. (This edit was cross-posted with Kilroy65.)

Leonardoven

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Netherlands
Re: Writing a letter abroad.

I've finished my letter, can I place it in this thread or should I make a new one?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Re: Writing a letter abroad.

Start a new thread for your letter. Remember to use an extract from your letter as the title - perhaps the first few words of the first complete sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.