Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Would you please take a look at my sentences from my short story and tell me if they sound natural. I am wondering about my second sentence. Is it correct as it is or should I add "while keeping." "I could do that while keeping my eyes closed."

After a few failed tries, I had learnt to take apart my AK-47 and reassemble it, skilfully and quickly. Later, I could do that with my eyes closed.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I think the past tense(learned) works better.
I would add a "to" before "reassemble".
"Do something with eyes closed" sounds better to me.

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
tedmc,
I think that one "to" in my sentence is enough. But I am not sure. We have to see what some of the teachers say.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you're asking if you need "to" before "reassemble", the answer is no.

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
emsr2d2,
I am asking about my whole sentence. Is it correct to write "I could do that with my eyes closed." or do I have to add "while keeping."? "I could do that while keeping my eyes closed. "

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I was referring to the contents of post 3. That's all I was commenting on in post 4.

I would change "that" to "it" in "Later, I could do it with my eyes closed". That's more natural than "while keeping".

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I understand emsr 2d2.

The problem is that tedmc wants to help me, but her or his answer was not clear. Sometimes you need the help of a native speaker because only a native speaker can understand the subtle differences in words. What is the use of getting help when the answer you receive is not clear?

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Bassim
Which part of my post is not clear?
Yes, the second "to" is optional but I would put it in.
In the second sentence, I think "that", as in the original sentence is also acceptable.

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
tedmc,

A few years ago, I got a warning by the moderator because I told you not to answer my posts. The moderator told me that what I had written was an insult because everyone has the right to post answers and give advice on this forum. Since then, I am trying to avoid any kinds of discussions on this forum, because I do not want to got more warnings or become banned. I am a learner and I am here to learn English and not to quarrel with people. You write in your post "I think", but one thing is when you say "I think" and another "I know."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Lots of us use "I think" on this forum. In BrE at least, it's another way of saying "In my opinion".

I agree with tedmc's suggestion that "learned" would be better, unless the surrounding sentences make the past perfect more appropriate.

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
emsr 2d2,
I have nothing against tedmc, or any other member on this forum. But on some occasions her or his answers to my questions have left me confused. In my sentence above, for example, I feel that one "to" is enough and tedmc tells me I need another one. When I read yours, and your colleagues' answers I know that I have got the best possible advice not because you are native speakers, but because you have been teaching English for decades. Not everyone can teach English and not everyone has the feeling for language, otherwise there would be millions English teachers around us. During these years, I have answered only one post. It was recently when I saw that the girl in her short story has mixed the past and the present in the same passage. I could have probably answered many others, but I think that there are enough native speakers and teachers of English who can give better advice and answers than I would be able to do.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
That's fine, Bassim, but if you're confused by anyone's answer, it is sufficient to simply quote their response along with something like "Sorry, I didn't completely understand your response. Could you explain it to me in a different way?" There is no need to single out any one user.

If you're now happy with the responses to your original question, it's probably time to close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.