Academic
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
hi

Are all of the following words synonymous with each other?

"bounce off, reflect back, return, come back"

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Some of the words and phrases you listed can be synonyms.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Venus.jam, please write some sentences in which you think they may all have the same meaning.

Last edited by a moderator:

Venus.jam

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I need to provide a synonym for "come back". I was wondering if all of the above-mentioned words are synonymous with "come back".

1. sonar uses waves that are sent out and return with a different frequency when they bounce off objects.
2. Bats send out waves that are reflected back by trees, etc.
3. when the waves bounce off objects and come back to the bats, the waves are a different frequency.

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I need to provide a synonym for "come back". I was wondering if all of the above-mentioned words are synonymous with "come back".

1. sonar uses waves that are sent out and return with a frequency when they bounce off objects.
3. when the waves bounce off objects and come back to the bats, the waves are a different frequency.

The sentences would all be grammatically correct if 1 and 3 began with capital letters. Sentences 1 and 3 are not scientifically correct, though. In sentence 1, "return with a frequency" doesn't mean anything because all sound waves have one or more frequencies. In sentence 3, the sound waves don't change frequency unless the objects they bounce off are moving towards or away from the sonar device.

Venus.jam

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
The sentences would all be grammatically correct if 1 and 3 began with capital letters. Sentences 1 and 3 are not scientifically correct, though. In sentence 1, "return with a frequency" doesn't mean anything because all sound waves have one or more frequencies. In sentence 3, the sound waves don't change frequency unless the objects they bounce off are moving towards or away from the sonar device.

I see. This has been taken from a book. By the way, the third sentence is not related to sonar devices but to bats. So which of the above mentioned words can be considered as synonyms for "come back" ?

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

1. sonar uses waves that are sent out and return with a frequency when they bounce off objects.

I see. This has been taken from a book. By the way, the third sentence is not related to sonar devices but to bats. So which of the above mentioned words can be considered as synonyms for "come back" ?

If you've quoted the book exactly, you should discard it. It's carelessly written and incorrect.

You could replace return with "come back".

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
This has been taken from a book.
In future threads, please tell us the title and author of any book you are quoting from in post #1.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
And please tell us now the source and author involved in this thread.

Venus.jam

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Would you please let me know why is it necessary?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's one of the forum rules.

Always give your sources and the URL where appropriate. Copyright applies to texts, pictures, etc and the site can be held responsible if people post things here that breach the laws. If we see complete texts being posted or other copyright infringements, we will remove the post.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Write Would you please let me know why this is necessary? In this question, the subject-verb inversion happens in the first two words. Everything that follows them is a statement which the question refers to.

Venus.jam

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Write Would you please let me know why this is necessary? In this question, the subject-verb inversion happens in the first two words. Everything that follows them is a statement which the question refers to.

"I wonder why this is necessary." What about this one? Shall I use a period after that or a question mark?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
"I wonder why this is necessary" is a statement, so a period (full stop) is needed.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

It helps us understand what's going on. We treat what a character in a comic book says differently than we treat what a science textbook says.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"I wonder why this is necessary." What about this one? Shall I use a period after that or a question mark?

No. When in doubt, diagram! As Rover says, "I wonder" is a statement, not a question.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I find the question to be badly-formed. It can only be answered intelligently if we understand what you need a synonym for; or, if we say they are all synonyms, you are not going to assume that you can interchange them all. A context is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.