Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Feb 2014
    • Posts: 5,102
    #1

    Tom is a friend of Tim's.

    Tom is a friend of Tim's.

    He is the friend of Tim.

    They are the friends of Tim.

    These all are the friends of Tim.

    These two are the friends of Tim.

    Please check.

  2. emsr2d2's Avatar
    Moderator
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 46,977
    #2

    Re: Tom is a friend of Tim's.

    Didn't we go through something very similar with you a few months ago?
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  3. VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Feb 2014
    • Posts: 5,102
    #3

    Re: Tom is a friend of Tim's.

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Didn't we go through something very similar with you a few months ago?
    Yes, but it is a bit confusing for me.

    They are the friends of Tim.

    These all are the friends of Tim.

    These two are the friends of Tim.

    I am confused about these. Ever since I asked you those questions I have become more confused (although its not your fault). So, please help me.

  4. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2015
    • Posts: 12,049
    #4

    Re: Tom is a friend of Tim's.

    Quote Originally Posted by tufguy View Post
    Yes, but it is a bit confusing for me.

    They are the friends of Tim.

    These all are the friends of Tim.

    These two are the friends of Tim.

    I am confused about these. Ever since I asked you those questions I have become more confused (although its not your fault). So, please help me.
    The definite article is unnatural in all three sentences. The second should read These are all friends of Tim, unless you mean that every one of Tim's friends is in the picture or the place you're talking about. If Tim really has, say, just six friends, and all six of them are in the room or the picture, you can use a definite article.
    I am not a teacher.

  5. emsr2d2's Avatar
    Moderator
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 46,977
    #5

    Re: Tom is a friend of Tim's.

    As I'm fairly sure we told you several times in that thread (and others), using "the xxx of yyy" is usually unnecessary and leads to a somewhat unnatural sentence, and certainly ones which would mark you out as a non-native speaker.

    They are Tim's friends.
    These are all Tim's friends.
    These two are Tim's friends.

    Don't make life more complicated for yourself.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  6. Piscean's Avatar
    VIP Member
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Jul 2015
    • Posts: 13,638
    #6

    Re: Tom is a friend of Tim's.

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Don't make life more complicated for yourself.
    Worth a try, I suppose, but I'm not holding my breath.

  7. VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Feb 2014
    • Posts: 5,102
    #7

    Re: Tom is a friend of Tim's.

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    As I'm fairly sure we told you several times in that thread (and others), using "the xxx of yyy" is usually unnecessary and leads to a somewhat unnatural sentence, and certainly ones which would mark you out as a non-native speaker.

    They are Tim's friends.
    These are all Tim's friends.
    These two are Tim's friends.

    Don't make life more complicated for yourself.
    Thank you EMS and Goestation. Yes, I do remember that but sometimes it happens that you say few things and you have to continue with those sentences (I do not want to use the unnatural version at all and I will try my best no to do that). At that time it becomes quiet difficult to get away with that situation. While talking to someone if I say something like this I should know what is the proper way of completing the sentence because it seems very awkward when you correct yourself by reconstructing the sentence. Your confidence and voice also go low when you are uncertain about something. So that is why I asked you this and thanks for your help.

  8. VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Feb 2014
    • Posts: 5,102
    #8

    Re: Tom is a friend of Tim's.

    Quote Originally Posted by GoesStation View Post
    The definite article is unnatural in all three sentences. The second should read These are all friends of Tim, unless you mean that every one of Tim's friends is in the picture or the place you're talking about. If Tim really has, say, just six friends, and all six of them are in the room or the picture, you can use a definite article.
    Definite article "the".

  9. emsr2d2's Avatar
    Moderator
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 46,977
    #9

    Re: Tom is a friend of Tim's.

    Quote Originally Posted by tufguy View Post
    While talking to someone if I say something like this I should know what is the proper way of completing the sentence because it seems very awkward when you correct yourself by reconstructing the sentence.
    Unless you're taking an oral exam (and you haven't suggested to us that you have any intention of taking exams in English), it doesn't matter if you get it slightly wrong as long as the listener understands what you mean. Whether you say "Tim is Tom's friend", "Tim is a friend of Tom", "Tim is a friend of Tom's", "Tim is one of Tom's friends" or "Tim is friends with Tom", it doesn't matter.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  10. VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Feb 2014
    • Posts: 5,102
    #10

    Re: Tom is a friend of Tim's.

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Unless you're taking an oral exam (and you haven't suggested to us that you have any intention of taking exams in English), it doesn't matter if you get it slightly wrong as long as the listener understands what you mean. Whether you say "Tim is Tom's friend", "Tim is a friend of Tom", "Tim is a friend of Tom's", "Tim is one of Tom's friends" or "Tim is friends with Tom", it doesn't matter.
    Sorry for this reply EMS but I would like to be using the correct version. I love this language so I have to be accurate in every aspect.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Similar Threads

  1. Tim reminds Tom of someone.
    By tufguy in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 30-Sep-2016, 09:36
  2. Tom remarked about Tim.
    By tufguy in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28-Sep-2016, 08:27
  3. Tom is menacing Tim.
    By tufguy in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-Sep-2016, 03:25
  4. Tim's biceps are double as big as Tom's.
    By tufguy in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 15-Aug-2016, 10:59
  5. Grammar- a friend of Tom's OR a friend of Tom
    By ioujj in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-Dec-2015, 06:04

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •