Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Please tell me what you think about my pronunciation. What can I improve? Apart from my German accent, does it sound like standard English?
It's a quote from one of my favorite books, "Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas" by Hunter S. Thompson.

https://clyp.it/5vx0tugr

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
That "apart" is a hell of a big word. How can one separate accent from pronunciation? I certainly have no answer.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
I mean, I know especially my fluency needs improvement. But are the words itselves pronounced correctly or at least understandable?
(Sorry for the crappy sound quality, had to use the internal mic of my laptop.)

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I mean, I know especially my fluency needs improvement. But are the words [STRIKE]itselves[/STRIKE] themselves pronounced correctly or at least understandably?
(Sorry for the crappy sound quality; I had to use the internal mic of my laptop.)
I actually think the sound quality is very important and relevant to this kind of exercise. Can you, perhaps, use a better mic?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Speaking naturally is always better then reading written text, which is unnatural, no matter how much someone loves an author.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Actually, your pronunciation sounds fine to me. I didn't hear any mistakes. Yes, you have a strong German accent - but you're German!

Your accent will smooth out over time if you keep working on it. You might seek out someone to coach you on your accent. Or you can get English-language audio books and use them for practice.

And remember that there's nothing wrong with an accent as long as the content is correct.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Thanks for the feedback. I try to improve my pronunciation by often watching CNN, which sadly is the only American channel receivable here via satellite for free.
I'm considering searching some international students at the university here in my city to meet and talk with them, maybe that will help better.
If someone's reading this and wants to chat on facebook, please leave me a message. Of course I could help others improve their German if wanted, too.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Forvo is a great resource for pronunciation help. It has hundreds of thousands of recordings of words and phrases by real people from all over the world. Try to stick to pronunciations made by native speakers. Choose English from the list of languages, then put the word you want to hear into the Search box. You should get a list of recordings to listen to.
Here's the link for "occasionally" (I see I've put a recording on there!)

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Thanks for the feedback. I try to improve my pronunciation by often watching CNN, which sadly is the only American channel receivable here via satellite for free.
I'm considering searching some international students at the university here in my city to meet and talk with them, maybe that will help better.
If someone's reading this and wants to chat on facebook, please leave me a message. Of course I could help others improve their German if wanted, too.

Don't say sadly. Listening to CNN will help you learn the most regionally neutral accent of AmE.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.