Results 1 to 7 of 7

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 46
    #1

    The meaning of "just"

    Just let me know if...
    What does "just" exactly mean?

    1)Is it to show a touch of humbleness to asking for something?
    2)Or is it to catch a listener's attention?
    3)Or is it emphasize "let me know"?


    • Join Date: May 2006
    • Posts: 1,335
    #2

    Re: The meaning of "just"

    Hi, nyugaton,
    You've given too little context. Just is such a common word and can imply so many things...
    Let's imagine a situation. You are going abroad and you are worried abt your visa. Your uncle who is a big shot at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs says to you,- Just let me know if any problem arises.
    It would imply you needn't take any steps yourself, you should only inform him and he'll see to it.

  1. sheena55ro
    Guest
    #3

    Re: The meaning of "just"

    Quote Originally Posted by nyugaton
    What does "just" exactly mean?
    1)Is it to show a touch of humbleness to asking for something?
    2)Or is it to catch a listener's attention?
    3)Or is it emphasize "let me know"?
    English Dictionary :
    adv.
    Precisely; exactly: just enough salt.
    Only a moment ago: He just arrived.
    By a narrow margin; barely: just missed being hit; just caught the bus before it pulled away.
    At a little distance: just down the road.
    Merely; only: just a scratch.
    Simply; certainly: It's just beautiful!
    Perhaps; possibly: I just may go.

    You can look it up in an English dictionary for further information.

    All the best


    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 46
    #4

    Re: The meaning of "just"

    Just let me express my gratitude

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,833
    #5

    Re: The meaning of "just"

    It could mean different things, especially in spoken language where the emphasis could change. It could be used to reassure the person about letting them know, but if said firmly, it could be used to strengthen an order.


    • Join Date: Jun 2007
    • Posts: 556
    #6

    Re: The meaning of "just"

    It can also be used so frequently it almost amounts to a verbal tic. A friend of mine used to talk about what he called the Just Prayer: "Heavenly Father, we just want to thank you...We are just so grateful that you are here with us at our gathering today, and we want to ask you just to bless us..."

    This may only have meaning to those living in the U.S., or perhaps only its southeast portion :)


    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 46
    #7

    Re: The meaning of "just"

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    It could mean different things, especially in spoken language where the emphasis could change. It could be used to reassure the person about letting them know, but if said firmly, it could be used to strengthen an order.
    Oh, I see, I understand it could be used with almost opposite nuances. Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by Delmobile View Post
    It can also be used so frequently it almost amounts to a verbal tic. A friend of mine used to talk about what he called the Just Prayer: "Heavenly Father, we just want to thank you...We are just so grateful that you are here with us at our gathering today, and we want to ask you just to bless us..."

    This may only have meaning to those living in the U.S., or perhaps only its southeast portion :)
    Thanks! That Just Prayer is interesting Are there any native speakers who don't mind explaing what each "just" mean in the prayer?

Similar Threads

  1. Sense and Meaning
    By Infinity in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14-Oct-2005, 10:39
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-Sep-2005, 14:36
  3. Communicative meaning
    By M56 in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 30-Jul-2005, 12:36
  4. UNDERSTAND MEANING...please help
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-Jun-2005, 04:49

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •