Interested in Language
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hello,

Is glottal stop used in American English?

Thanks a lot.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Are you asking if the term is used in AmE or if AmE speakers use glottal stops when speaking?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The glottal stop is a critical phoneme in AmE. Paradoxically, few Americans are aware of this and we have no common way to write it.

Only a glottal stop distinguishes common phrase pairs like "I can go" and "I can't go", much to the frustration of English learners trying to master the language.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's common in American English, and I didn't know that we don't know about it!

I don't hear it in "can't," but it's loud and clear in "didn't"! (In parts of New England it's so strong it sounds like a hiccup. It's strongest in central Connecticut: DIH-ent.)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Is it as strong as it is in some parts of the UK, where you will hear it in the middle of words like bottle and water?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is it as strong as it is in some parts of the UK, where you will hear it in the middle of words like bottle and water?

A friend who grew up in central Connecticut replaces central consonants with glottal stops quite often. I think she uses the typical American tongue flap consonant in those two words though.

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's common in American English, and I didn't know that we don't know about it!

I don't hear it in "can't," but it's loud and clear in "didn't"! (In parts of New England it's so strong it sounds like a hiccup. It's strongest in central Connecticut: DIH-ent.)

A friend who lived alternately in central Connecticut and Florida (her parents owned one of the Connecticut resorts!) talks like that.

The final phoneme in can't is usually a glottal stop. That's all that distinguishes I can do it! (spoken emphatically) from I can't do it!

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

In central Connecticut, there's absolutely no T in bottle - just that hiccup. I hear it here in Maine and elsewhere sometimes, too, but it's not as common.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A friend who lived alternately in central Connecticut and Florida (her parents owned one of the Connecticut resorts!) talks like that.

The final phoneme in can't is usually a glottal stop. That's all that distinguishes I can do it! (spoken emphatically) from I can't do it!

Oh! There! I wasn't thinking about the end of the word, just the middle. Yes, you're absolutely right. Totally glottal. I mean GLOH-al!

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
PS - A lot of New Yorkers will get the T and get it hard on words like can't and what. But then they lose their R's and it all comes out even.

One of the toughest things for people studying American English must be learning when T's are pronounced as D's.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In central Connecticut, there's absolutely no T in bottle - just that hiccup. I hear it here in Maine and elsewhere sometimes, too, but it's not as common.

It's spreading in BrE far beyond its Cockney origins.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Prince Harry combines an odd mixture of public school long vowels with glottal stops.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You could always try shoo'ing your son for his 'orrible pronunciation.

Status
Not open for further replies.