Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I am not sure about this chapter of my text I am currently writing. It is about a group of ministers visiting a local mosque. I am wondering about the phrase "like children who are given candy". Is that correct English? And then "acting as in a drama school?" Would you please correct my mistakes?

The imam picks more books and hands them to the ministers, who take the Quran and thank him profusely. They scamper on the thick carpet, happy like children who are given candy. They have already played this game many times and they have learnt how to feign interest and excitement. The Party has taught them acting as in a drama school. They should always wear a mask of kindness and solicitousness, avoid dramatic gestures, and have appropriate diction. They must persuade people they should trust them more than their own minds. Only the vote for their party leads to bright future; the vote for others means a terrible disaster.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
The imam picks up more [STRIKE]books[/STRIKE] copies of the Quran and hands them out to the ministers, who [STRIKE]take the Quran[/STRIKE] accept them and thank him profusely. They scamper on the thick carpet, happy like children [STRIKE]who are[/STRIKE] being given candy. They have already played this game many times and they have learnt how to feign interest and excitement. The party has taught them acting just as well as [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] a drama school can. They should always wear a mask of kindness and solicitousness, avoid dramatic gestures, and have appropriate diction. They must persuade people [STRIKE]they should[/STRIKE] to trust them implicitly. [STRIKE]more than their own minds.[/STRIKE] Only [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] a vote for their party leads to a bright future; [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] a vote for others means a terrible disaster.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I am curious about the ministers being described as "scamper on the carpet like children being given candy". Is that appropriate?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If that's how it looked to the author, then why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.