Academic
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi

I was wondering if I should put a period after the following embedded yes/no questions or a question mark.
Sometimes I see that it has been used with a dot but in some other cases question mark has been used.
After do you know guestion mark is used but what about I wonder if/whether.

2) I was wondering if / whether
a) used to politely ask someone to help you:

• I was wondering if I could borrow your car?
b) used to ask someone politely if they would like to do something:

• I was wondering if you’d like to come to dinner.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
As you have been asked before, please tell us the title and author of any book you are quoting from.

Venus.jam

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
From Internet. I think it was taken from Longman Dictionary

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There should be no question mark after "I was wondering if I could borrow your car". It is not a question. It is a statement.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Here's a question: I wonder, would you like to go out with me?
Here's a statement: I wonder if you would like to go out with me.

You will very frequently see question marks at the end of statements that begin I wonder, but they don't belong there.

Venus.jam

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Here's a question: I wonder, would you like to go out with me?
Here's a statement: I wonder if you would like to go out with me.

You will very frequently see question marks at the end of statements that begin I wonder, but they don't belong there.

I'd appreciate if you answer the following questions:

1. So where do they belong?
2. Moreover, is it correct and natural to produce sentences like "I wonder, would you like to go out with me?". I mean using both "I wonder" and a question?
3. Is there any difference in punctuation between "do you know" and "I wonder"?
For example:
Do you know that he is afraid of dogs? (Do we always use a question mark in do you know examples?)
I wonder if he is afraid of dogs. (do we always use a period after I wonder examples?)
I wonder, is he afraid if dogs? (Is this form also used?)

4. Would you please let me know what are the reasons to use embedded yes/no questions?
I only know that they are used because of politeness.

5. What are the following sentences called? I mean they are like embedded yes/no questions I think they are called wh clauses. Correct?

For example: I wonder what time it is? or I wonder how old he is.

6. In which contexts can we use "what time is it?" and "I wonder what time it is?"

Thanks in advance.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We use a question mark after a question. Questions are formed by inverting the subject and the verb. There are some unusual cases where it's a little more complicated, but you can disregard them to begin with.

So where do they belong? This is a question because the verb do and the subject they are inverted. In a statement, you'd write They do belong there.

The sentence I wonder, would you like to go out with me? combines a statement and a question. The question inverts subject and verb, so it ends with a question mark.

Any sentence that begins Do you is a question because the subject and verb are inverted.

I don't know if there's a name for sentences like I wonder what time it is. You could say that it's speculative, but I don't think that's a grammatical term.

You can use the I wonder form of speculating about something when you want to share your uncertainty with someone else. For example, I wonder what time it is. If it's almost 3:30, we could go to the movie. Use the question form when you want an answer:​ What time is it? The movie starts at 3:30, so we have to leave before 3:00.

Status
Not open for further replies.