Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. Pasquale Esposito's Avatar
    Newbie
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

    • Join Date: Sep 2015
    • Posts: 26
    #1

    Is what I say unclear?

    Hi everyone,


    I would very much like to know whether or not you are able to fill in six gaps in the script relating to a video of mine in which you can see me asking a question at the end of a conference about the use of technology in the classroom.


    The reason for my strange request is that I'm often afraid that, when I speak in English, the way I pronounce words may sound quite weird and what I say could not be easy to follow. So, the final target for me is to see whether the problem really exists.


    This is the link to the YouTube video:





    And this is the script with the six gaps:



    ===== START OF SCRIPT =====
    So, one of the things that I found particularly (1)__________ was one of the slides during the first presentation showing that technology is not very much used in the classroom. So, the question I have is, what's the reason for it? Is it because our teachers are not (2)__________ for the use of technology? Or is it because they believe that for language acquisition, for example (I'm an English teacher; I'm not a native speaker, anyway), probably traditional learning is preferable to the use of (3)__________ in the classroom. For example, I was thinking of the fact that Steve Jobs used to force his children to read paper books. And, for example, for the memorization of information, very often, you know, people say that it helps us to use pen and paper more than new technology, because technology usually teaches us to be fast, but when you (4)__________ you need to slow down. And if you think of, for example, the screens on a tablet, on an iPad, they disappear (5)__________. And so, the retention of information is probably (6)__________ by the use of pen and paper, traditional books. So, the question is, what do you think is the reason why technology is not very much used in the classroom today? Thank you.
    ===== END OF SCRIPT =====
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.


    Best regards,


    Pasquale

  2. emsr2d2's Avatar
    Moderator
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 44,800
    #2

    Re: Is what I say unclear?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pasquale Esposito View Post

    And this is the script with the six gaps:
    ===== START OF SCRIPT =====
    So, one of the things that I found particularly (1) striking was one of the slides during the first presentation showing that technology is not very much used in the classroom. So, the question I have is, what's the reason for it? Is it because our teachers are not (2) trained for the use of technology? Or is it because they believe that for language acquisition, for example (I'm an English teacher; I'm not a native speaker, anyway), probably traditional learning is preferable to the use of (3) multimedia in the classroom. For example, I was thinking of the fact that Steve Jobs used to force his children to read paper books. And, for example, for the memorization of information, very often, you know, people say that it helps us to use pen and paper more than new technology, because technology usually teaches us to be fast, but when you (4) learn you need to slow down. And if you think of, for example, the screens on a tablet, on an iPad, they disappear (5) at once. And so, the retention of information is probably (6) facilitated by the use of pen and paper, traditional books. So, the question is, what do you think is the reason why technology is not very much used in the classroom today? Thank you.
    ===== END OF SCRIPT =====
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.


    Best regards,


    Pasquale
    Your question was very clear, well enunciated and without too much hesitation. I have entered, in red, what I heard.
    One thing - check your pronunciation of "preferable". The stress should come on the first syllable, unlike in "prefer" where it comes on the second.
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 13-Dec-2016 at 19:55.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  3. Pasquale Esposito's Avatar
    Newbie
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

    • Join Date: Sep 2015
    • Posts: 26
    #3

    Re: Is what I say unclear?

    Thank you very much indeed. All of the gaps you filled in correspond to what I said. Thank you also for your tip about the correct pronunciation of "preferable".

  4. emsr2d2's Avatar
    Moderator
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 44,800
    #4

    Re: Is what I say unclear?

    One more thing (not pronunciation-related) - I'm not sure what you mean by "the screens on a tablet/iPad disappear at once". A screen/page on any computer (or similar) only disappears when you choose to move to another screen/page, unless you are taking part in a timed exercise.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  5. Pasquale Esposito's Avatar
    Newbie
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

    • Join Date: Sep 2015
    • Posts: 26
    #5

    Re: Is what I say unclear?

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    One more thing (not pronunciation-related) - I'm not sure what you mean by "the screens on a tablet/iPad disappear at once". A screen/page on any computer (or similar) only disappears when you choose to move to another screen/page, unless you are taking part in a timed exercise.
    You are right. I should have expanded on that concept. What I was trying to say was that turning over a page of a paper book is slower than moving from a digital screen page to another. Consequently, when using a paper book, you usually lay your eyes on a page for more seconds and this will make it easier for you to remember the words on the same page, simply because you have more time to concentrate on them, even unconsciously. On the contrary, the digital pages of a computer, tablet, smartphone etc. disappear very quickly, so you generally dedicate less time to each single page.

  6. emsr2d2's Avatar
    Moderator
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 44,800
    #6

    Re: Is what I say unclear?

    That still suggests that digital pages disappear without any input from the user. That's not true. A screen stays where it is until you get rid of it and go to a different page so you have the same option you do with a paper book.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  7. Pasquale Esposito's Avatar
    Newbie
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

    • Join Date: Sep 2015
    • Posts: 26
    #7

    Re: Is what I say unclear?

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    That still suggests that digital pages disappear without any input from the user. That's not true. A screen stays where it is until you get rid of it and go to a different page so you have the same option you do with a paper book.
    I realize mine is actually a complicated concept to explain. What I mean is, once you have decided to turn over the page, it takes you a couple of seconds to do so if you are holding a paper book, because you have to do it manually. In those two seconds, your eyes can have a last quick look at the words on the page and this may facilitate the learning process, because the duration of your exposure to those words increases. On the contrary, when you use a PC or tablet and decide to move from a digital page to another, all you have to do is click on a button or tap on an icon and the new digital page will appear immediately. Consequently, your exposure to the words on the page you are leaving will be shorter and this means that the chances of remembering those words will be slimmer.

  8. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2015
    • Posts: 11,625
    #8

    Re: Is what I say unclear?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pasquale Esposito View Post
    I realize mine is actually a complicated concept to explain. What I mean is, once you have decided to turn over the page, it takes you a couple of seconds to do so if you are holding a paper book, because you have to do it manually. In those two seconds, your eyes can have a last quick look at the words on the page and this may facilitate the learning process, because the duration of your exposure to those words increases. On the contrary, when you use a PC or tablet and decide to move from a digital page to another, all you have to do is click on a button or tap on an icon and the new digital page will appear immediately. Consequently, your exposure to the words on the page you are leaving will be shorter and this means that the chances of remembering those words will be slimmer.
    My father has a late-eighteenth-century book in which the publisher set the first word from the following page just below the last word on each page. This was evidently done to help people who were reading it aloud negotiate the page turn.

    This would be a very helpful (but very expensive) convention in music publishing!
    I am not a teacher.

  9. Pasquale Esposito's Avatar
    Newbie
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

    • Join Date: Sep 2015
    • Posts: 26
    #9

    Re: Is what I say unclear?

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    One thing - check your pronunciation of "preferable". The stress should come on the first syllable, unlike in "prefer" where it comes on the second.
    I am consoled by the fact that this mistake is often made even by native speakers:


  10. tzfujimino's Avatar
    Key Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Dec 2007
    • Posts: 2,761
    #10

    Re: Is what I say unclear?

    I wouldn't call it a mistake. Your version exists according to this dictionary, for example.
    I think it's just that the one with the stress on the first syllable is far more common.
    Last edited by tzfujimino; 15-Dec-2016 at 11:26.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Similar Threads

  1. unclear sentence
    By pars in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 30-Aug-2015, 22:11
  2. unclear
    By onkar in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 16-Jan-2012, 09:33
  3. Unclear sentence
    By onkar in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 25-Dec-2011, 17:27
  4. it was(is) unclear...
    By LQZ in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 17-Apr-2010, 15:55
  5. unclear
    By peter123 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15-Jan-2008, 06:10

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •