• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Question each..individually

Hi,

I am reviewing a claim in a patent, and a question raised about the following expression:
    "two supports, one end of each being individually connected to two sides of the connection part"

What is it different from:
    "two supports, one end of each being individually connected to each side of the connection part" or
    "two supports, one end of each being connected to each side of the connection part"?

Can I say that, in the original one, one end of each could be connected to both sides of the connection part and each one of the ends are connected in different fashions?

Thanks in advance.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

Re: each..individually

Can you post a diagram/sketch of what you mean?

Key Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: each..individually

Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    Hi,

I am reviewing a claim in a patent, and a question was raised [OR came up] about the following expression:
    "two supports, one end of each being individually connected to two sides of the connection part."

How is that different than:
    "two supports, one end of each being individually connected to each side of the connection part" or
    "two supports, one end of each being connected to each side of the connection part"?

Can I say that, in the original one, one end of each could be connected to both sides of the connection part and each one of the ends are connected in different fashions?

Thanks in advance.
    In the original line, the supports only connect to two sides of the other part. In your other two versions, the supports are connected to all sides of the part.

If the parts they connect to have only two sides, then we would say "both sides," not "each side."

To answer your question, you're saying a lot more than what the original text you've shown us says. So it depends on the rest of the patent application.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.