Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
Hi. Anyone teaching King Lear at A level? We are hosting a whole day of lectures and seminars for 6th formers. Wednesday 1st February, 2017. Uppingham, Rutland (East Midlands). Great speakers, exam-friendly topics. Do contact me if you want any more details.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Can't say I've ever taught it, but I remember for a long time being confused by Goneril vs gonorhea. I just couldn't understand why he named his daughter after a venereal disease, and this distracted me to the point I had trouble focusing on the overall story.

I finally worked up the nerve to ask my teacher, with predictable hilarity ensuing from the rest of the class. However, it turns out there were others thinking the same thing, as it seems several of us hadn't paid close enough attention during sex-ed class.

I had similar questions later on about why we named the STD after some guy rolling rocks up hills, but that too was cleared up sans penicillin.

J

J&K Tutoring

Enjoyed your response! It reminded me of a MASH episode where Radar got the name of Major Winchester's sister wrong. Her name was Honoria with, of course, the accent on the second syllable. Radar said it with the accent on the third syllable, and his H was not silent...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.