• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Telugu
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

If job requirements are not imposed...

If job requirements are not imposed, the current scenario of students chosing technology and science will more than reverse and they will take art and literature (Here the intention is to say, for example, if it is 70% for science and technology currently, it'll be less than 30%(more than reverse) if there is no job requirement. Please tell me if this is right).

Also please tell me if I can use square brackets for brackets inside brackets like above case.
    P.S. Please correct any errors above.

Key Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: If job requirements are not imposed...

Quote Originally Posted by MeyaN View Post
    If job requirements are not imposed, the current scenario of students choosing technology and science will more than reverse and they will take art and literature (Here the intention is to say, for example, that if it is 70% for science and technology currently, it'll be less than 30%(more than reverse) if there is no job requirement. Please tell me if this is right).

Also please tell me if I can use square brackets for brackets inside brackets like above case.
    The meaning isn't clear partly because (a) scenario isn't the right word and (b) you're waiting too long to say whom you're comparing STEM students to.

You could use ratio or proportion:

- The current ratio of STEM students to humanities students will more than reverse.
    - The present ratio of STEM to humanities students will flip, at least.
    - The proportion of technology and science students to art and literature students will reverse.

And you're assuming that everyone who drops out of technology and science will switch to art and literature. Is that what you mean to say? Are you sure it's true? Won't some students pick something other than art or literature? Won't some drop out altogether?

Another question: What job requirements are you talking about? There are no job requirements for taking classes. Do you mean course prerequisites? And why would failing to impose them drive students away?

I wouldn't use brackets inside of parentheses. Maybe someone else would. I've never seen it done that way. I'd reorganize the paragraph.
    Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 17-Dec-2016 at 15:03.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

3. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

If you have an unavoidable case of nested parentheses, the inner ones have to be square brackets. You should avoid this whenever you can.
    I am not a teacher.

4. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Telugu
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Thank you.
    1) Is "that" necessary after "for example,"?
    2) No. I just meant more students will take up arts/humanities instead of technology if it can provide more jobs (Here by 'it' I meant 'arts'. please tell me if this sentence correct and natural.)
    3) By "job requirements" I meant technology students will easily get jobs, and hefty packages than arts students do. (should there be a comma after "job requirements" or "meant" in this sentence?)
    P.S. Please correct any errors above.