• Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

About to argue regarding use of the word "Repeat"

Hi all
    I hate to be one of those forum users who jump right in with a question, but alas I might be that guy!

I am about to lodge a complaint regarding the outcome of my long awaited Masters Degree, specifically the marking of one unit. Even though its a reputable university, some very dubious stuff occurred a few years back in one of my units which resulted in me winning the complaint i made and resubmitting just the coursework component of the unit in question. Now I have finished and am about to graduate, the faculty have decided to include the dubiously marked unit in the final average calculation which is hurting the overall grade considerably.

I am arguing the point that the offer from the university was made to "repeat" the unit and therefor the original mark (as i understood at the time) should have been overwritten and not included in any calculations.
    Annoyingly this has not happened so this is why I will be raising a grievance against them; to remove the poor mark.
    My unit marks were all distinctions and high distinctions, other than this one single unit which is dropping me back to a "credit"!!

The degree in question is in engineering, so I am looking for help from those far more literate than me to assist in some good phrasing around the use of the word "Repeat".
    Dictionary definitions tend to specify a "do over" angle, but does anyone have any definitions or phrasing relating more to over-writing the original rather than just doing the same thing twice???
    Many thanks Jon

VIP Member
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: About to argue regarding use of the word "Repeat"

Quote Originally Posted by jonnymac View Post
    I am arguing the point that the offer from the university was made to "repeat" the unit and therefor the original mark (as i understood at the time) should have been overwritten and not included in any calculations.
    Oxford's definition, verb #22, here (Undertake (a course or period of instruction again) seems relevant. If you were required/permitted to do part of the course again, then it seems reasonable to assume that the only reason for this was to allow the possibility of improving the marks/grade. There was no point in doing it again if no improvement wass possible.

What is also relevant is whether the university staff admitted any error on their part when they permitted the resubmission. If they did, then it seems to me that they have no justification whatsoever in considering the initial faulty mark/grade now.

If they did not, however, then you may be on shakier ground. Your complaint now rests on how they used the original mark. If they used it instead of your improved mark/grade, then the repeat was pointless - they caused you to do extra work pointlessly, and you have grounds for complaint. If they claim that there was no fault in the initial marking/grading, and they allowed you to repeat as a gesture of goodwill, then they may be able to claim justification if they used an average of your original and your improved marks/grades.

We can help you improve the wording of anything you write, but we cannot advise you on the points of law involved. What I said above was how I, not an expert in law, see this matter.