• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

Improving English skills

Hello, my name is Ivan. I've got some problems with my English. I believe that I have quite a qood level of this language, but still I find it a bit diificult to use in everyday life. When I try to express myself, I often make stupid recurring mistakes, confuse the words and so on. My Listening skills are extremely poor as well. When I watch films or videos in English, I can't get much of that, because the flow of the speech seems to be extremely fast for me. I think I need more practice. But what could you recommend me?

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

Re: Improving English skills

Quote Originally Posted by Khoma View Post
    Hello, my name is Ivan. I've got some problems with my English. I believe that I have quite a good level grasp of this language, but still I find it a bit difficult to use in everyday life. When I try to express myself, I often make stupid recurring mistakes, confuse the words and so on.
    That's only natural. Don't let that demotivate or frustrate you. The key to success is practice and making sure that you enjoy the learning process.

Quote Originally Posted by Khoma View Post
    My listening skills are extremely poor as well. When I watch films or videos in English, I can't get much of they say in them that, because the flow of the speech seems to be extremely fast for me. I think I need more practice. But what could you recommend for me?
    Again, that's to be expected. Films are not always the best when it comes to listening practice. I would suggest that you listen to something like the BBC or CNN at this stage. And for variety, you can try audio-books; those have the advantage that you can read and listen at the same time.

Finally, here's one website I like for listening practice. It has many exercises, and most students seem to like it.
    http://www.esl-lab.com/

3. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Improving English skills

I've found that the best films for improving comprehension are historical dramas. The language you're taught is always formal and old-fashioned compared to contemporary usage. Screenwriters exploit this fact by having their characters speak more "correctly" and formally in past settings; this makes them sound right for the era the story is set in.

Programs set in the present will include far more slang and casual speech. They can be valuable for tuning your ear to the language you'll hear in the streets, but you should work on basic comprehension of more careful speech first.
    I am not a teacher.