Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Canada
People might ask you the question "How are things coming along?". It could mean that you had previously told them about something, for example, a business project or a school assignment you were working on. If so, they might be asking you "How is it progressing?". I understand this meaning. However, someone asked me this question in a different situation.

(ex) A few days ago, I saw my neighbor in my building. He asked me, "How are things coming along with you?". Before we met in the lobby, I had never told him about a project or any type of assignment I was doing. In fact, I have not been busy with anything big. I didn't know how to answer his question. I just smiled at him. Then, we walked away from each other.

Does his question mean "How are you?" and "How is it going?" in my example? Please explain it. Thanks a lot.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
We Canadians are very accusomed to having a lot of new Canadians, and we like it.

Given the context, I think it is pretty much equivalent to "How's it going?" with the slight qualifier of "Given your newness." I.e. he was asking whether you might need a little extra help in settling in.

Last edited:

davidtrinh

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Canada
Thanks, probus. I may be new to the forum but not new to Canada. I have been here for seven years. I don't think he was wondering whether I needed any assistance in settling in. Your clarification helps me understand that it's equivalent to "How are you?" or "How is it going?". Thanks again.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Well David, I spend a lot of time in the United Sates, and I would never say "How are things coming along" to my American friends if I meant "How's it going?"

Evidently there is something Canadian about this "coming along." I am sorry I have not identified it to your satisfaction. Any other Canadian teachers care o join in?

My opinion is that you think seven years in Canada is enough to erase your newness, but your neighbour disagrees.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Given the very large immigrant population of Canada, it's possible the neighbor was not a native Anglophone.

Status
Not open for further replies.