Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A doctor came in and told a patient after checked the test results. I do not mean you. You have complications (medical related). What does I do not mean you mean?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: What does I do not mean you mean?

Is that the first thing the doctor says? It's very odd.

If the doctor said something like "Some people can... [do something]. I do not mean you. [You cannot do whatever it is - you are not included among this group of people who can.]."

compiler

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Is that the first thing the doctor says? It's very odd.

If the doctor said something like "Some people can... [do something]. I do not mean you. [You cannot do whatever it is - you are not included among this group of people who can.]."
Your first guess ("Some people can... [do something]. I do not mean you) probably is right because the patient received the treatments from the other doctors before visited this doctor who ever treated this patient before. Does it mean the doctor is not very happy that the patient received treatments from the other doctors? What does "Some people can... [do something]. I do not mean you" mean?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

What does "Some people can... [do something]. I do not mean you" mean?

It's a way for the doctor to correct herself or soften the impact of what she just said. "Some people die a month after getting this diagnosis -- but I don't mean you, your other blood work shows you'll be OK."

The doctor said something out loud, forgetting that the patient was in the same room. So she reassured the patient, saying "I don't mean you​."

compiler

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

It's a way for the doctor to correct herself or soften the impact of what she just said. "Some people die a month after getting this diagnosis -- but I don't mean you, your other blood work shows you'll be OK."

The doctor said something out loud, forgetting that the patient was in the same room. So she reassured the patient, saying "I don't mean you​."
Make sense. I do not mean TO you probably means I do not mean that you have the same condition as I talk about, medical complications.

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

That makes sense. 'I do not mean you' probably means 'I do not mean that you have the same case as I talk about, medical complications'.
compiler, please note my amendments to your post - especially the use of quotation marks.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

Though it actually appears to be the opposite here as the person has complications. Maybe the doctor should work on bedside manners.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

compiler, please note my amendments to your post - especially the use of quotation marks.

Wow. I'm impressed you were able to parse that, Rover_KE. It meant nothing to me. Compiler, always indicate quoted text by surrounding it with quotation marks or setting it in italics.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

I've belatedly added them to the original thread title.

compiler

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

May be I did not make the question well. Could it be "I do not mean to you" instead of "I do not mean you?" Is it possible there is a TO before you?

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

No. If it had been we'd have said so long since.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

Is it possible there is a TO before you?

There's no to in the previous sentence, which uses can do, so it doesn't work. It could work if you had something like this:

I'll send it to you. Sorry I didn't mean to you, I meant to the person next to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.