• Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

Is it correct to use "Such the word"?

Have you ever seen "such the...."?

I think I have seen it some where but I can not remember which book it is?

Because we normally see " such a word, such a thing, such words. such things, etc.".

Please help giving advices, so that I can keep it as reference/

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
    Piak

Wink Re: Is it correct to use "Such the word"?

hey,you said that you've seen "such the" in a book somewhere,but but don't you think that there're faults in the books or maybe it's not a standard usage of "such".As far as I know,there's no that sort of usage even though it can be accepted as the grammatical smooth.:-)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: Is it correct to use "Such the word"?

The British National Corpus has 37 examples in a database of over 100 million words, and some seem to be errors, though 'as such the' is the most common:
    1 AC9 in a way different from the sexological and psychoanalytic accounts. As such the deviant was the point of entry into civilization for the unnatural
    2 AN4 Roman statue found at Magdalensberg in the sixteenth century and as such the only complete Roman statue ever found north of the Alps.
    3 B0L Linen, Corydon! … herself, you mean. Are such the Dryads of thy smiling Plain? [ ML, 2,
    4 B1F one used at most clubs) was secretary-manager, and as such the administration of the club was as much a part of his
    5 B3H their orders and inconsistencies. So bad are those inconsistencies and such the maladroitness of parents that most people come through the ordeal of
    6 B78 ." Although Green took heed of this advice and made such the subjects of many successful paintings, his main strength was in
    7 B7G which is relatively small. (An air-breathing animal, if such the monster is, would have large lungs and would be expected
    8 CB9 a theory that unifies forces in a particular way. As such the Z o, more than the W particle, is an
    9 CKY nature of higher consciousness or total spiritual enlightenment, and as such the image adorned the entrance to all sacred temples and schools of
    10 CL2 Victorian Painting, a highly informative survey which examines key issues such the rise of genre painting, the Aesthetic movement and taste and
    11 CLC to reckon with. Having to absorb this phenomenon --; for such the eighteen-and-a-half-year- became within a month or two, despite all the
    12 CLU versus a COSE hybrid case for developers and presumably tackle issues such the proposed COSE-compliant Motif and whether the application programming interface will stick
    13 CMX squalls that came over the jungle limited their use and as such the heavy bomber crews had to carry out operations with the required
    14 CNM ONC+ versus a COSE hybrid for developers and presumably tackling issues such the proposed COSE-compliant Motif and whether the application programming interface will stick
    15 CRR Berlin, Dusseldorf, Frankfurt and Nuremburg will follow; as such the project represents the first large-scale commercial implementation of the IEEE 802.6
    16 EBT , the centre of the Chesapeake tobacco trade, and as such the port with the largest customs establishment in Scotland, could have
    17 FA9 , respect and defend the best of its traditions. As such the book deserves thoughtful consideration. Yet it also merits some careful
    18 FA9 as being social representations or elements of social representation. As such the concept of social representation will necessarily be some son of general
    19 FCV with explicit criticisms, for explicit criticisms are rare. As such the reasons were not explicit justifications. Nevertheless, they could be
    20 FP2 to be described by the word "employment." As such the facts in this case fall within the ambit of section 16(2)
    21 G1N state, existing to promote the public welfare, and as such the state has the right to interfere in its internal affairs and
    22 G1N of the type of metaphoric relation developed in Out. In Such the discourse of astrophysics is used to subvert that of classical psychoanalysis
    23 GXG words generate associations which guide his train of thought. In Such the dissection of conventional locutions is contrasted with the "transparent"
    24 H91 have recognised the experiment as being of national significance. As such the Centre may also be a blueprint of how central government could
    25 HB3 detailed provisions for a "single" trading market; as such the "European idea" remained acceptably circumscribed. When they came
    26 HNM The policy is designed to cater for mobile/moveable plant and as such the situation shown on the plant schedule is amended to Anywhere in
    27 HW9 model is essentially an ex-post version of the CAPM. As such the statistical inputs needed to evaluate securities and portfolios are readily available
    28 HYB likely to be replaced with a technologically superior asset and as such the replacement cost of the asset held will be difficult to establish
    29 HYR Lucy can be seen in a fresh light, and as such the metaphor has the " power to inform and enlighten " which
    30 J15 significant zero, it's important to explain the textiles as such the er, we are now getting a very different estimate for
    31 J77 , argue that the mechanisms are indirect and unreliable. As such the effects of changing the money supply will be uncertain. The
    32 JJU a few days in order to execute and return documentation. As such the time periods in 1.15.2 and 1.15.3 seem a little tight. 1.16
    33 K24 arrange the defence that you were a reasonable tenant and as such the assignment should have been allowed to permit this course of action
    34 K6V the first major conflict of the English Civil war and as such the Sealed Knot Society wanted to mark it properly. They spent
    35 K93 six pads of different sorts of daytime oc, extra forms such the agendas, communication records and so on, five samples of fifteen different
    36 KM4 seem to need the same rule, to produce stress patterns such The above rules do not, of course, cover all English words
    37 KM4 a proce, when to start and have a pro. Such the quality committee regularly considers whether it's necessary to have any
    Source http://view.byu.edu
    Last edited by Tdol; 11-Jul-2006 at 07:55.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

Thank you very much tdol for your kind effort in giving me such the details (Am I correct to use it that way). It is very kind of you.

Best regards,
    Piak

Hi, Piak,
    No, it’s impossible to say such the details. The can only stay after as such, which I understand as being such a thing. I’ve made a possible context here.
    <I recommend “Getting rich quickly” by Robin Banks for reading. You know, there are books that help us in everyday life. As such (=being such kind of book) the novel is unrivalled among the latest released>.
    After as such there goes a little pause, so such and the belong to different parts of the sentence.
    I am not too articulate, but I hope it’s clear enough.
    Regards!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

Thank you Humble for your response to this topic of mine, and yours is another point of view that I deemed it necessary to take into consideration, because most of the time we see SUCH A / AN..... However, the sample given in 6B78 by tdol is another point of consideration. It is worth to remember for further reference, isn't it?

Thank you again.

Best regards,
    Paik

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

If you ever need samples of real phrases, use that site- it's excellent.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

Appreciate your kind confirmation on this matter again, tdol, and I have gone on browsing the web site already, there are a lot of things to study there. Thank you again for your suggestion.

Best regards,
    Piak

Hello, Piak,
    I admit my conclusion that the can only go after as such was hasty and wrong. Still I am sure such the details in your sentence is not grammatical.
    In 6B78 (sorry, Iam lazy to type it and unable to copy) such is not a determiner to subjects.
    Such here substitutes something mentioned before, something advised to Green. I could imagine, for example the following:
    Following smb's advice, Green made young girls the subjects of his pictures and that's why they were successful.
    I wonder why tdol did not correct your mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Humble
    Hello, Piak,
    I admit my conclusion that the can only go after as such was hasty and wrong. Still I am sure such the details in your sentence is not grammatical.
    In 6B78 (sorry, Iam lazy to type it and unable to copy) such is not a determiner to subjects.
    Such here substitutes something mentioned before, something advised to Green. I could imagine, for example the following:
    Following smb's advice, Green made young girls the subjects of his pictures and that's why they were successful.
    I wonder why tdol did not correct your mistake.
    To my knowledge, I think you are right. As far as I know, 'such' is used like these:

such a beautiful girl (such+ indefinit article+ adjective+ a sigular noun)
    such beautiful girls (such+ adjective+ a plural noun)
    such girls (such+ a plural noun)
    such redundancy (such + an uncountable noun)

Those are what I've found out with several authorative English grammar books. So I'd like to know the disagreement between information above and mine.

By the way, tdol, can I belive all the information that the site gives?

Spoon

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast