Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Hi all, i have an "Interesting" question here.

I met a American English Teacher here and keep on correcting my grammar. I said " Can I fetch you from the coffee shop?" then English teacher replied that this is incorrect and "Fetch" is to command a dog like "Throw the stick and let the dog fetches it back" . I been using this sentence for decades yet i have double check here too - http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/fetch . She emphasized that this word, "fetch" is commonly use for DOG training in America.

Any native english spoken person from America can comment here? Feel free to correct my grammar above if any too :) English is not my 1st/mother tongue language. Appreciated your help much !

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Fetch is used as a command to tell a dog to retrieve something. Your sentence works in British English- parents fetch the kids from school.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi all, I have an "interesting" question here.

I met an American English teacher here and ​he [STRIKE]keep[/STRIKE] kept on correcting my grammar. I said " Can I fetch you from the coffee shop?", then the English teacher [STRIKE]replied[/STRIKE] said that this is incorrect and "fetch" is used to command a dog, like in "Throw the stick and [STRIKE]let[/STRIKE] tell the dog [STRIKE]fetches[/STRIKE] to fetch it." [STRIKE]back" .[/STRIKE]

I have been using this sentence for decades [STRIKE]yet[/STRIKE] and I have double-checked here too - http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/fetch. She emphasized that this word, "fetch", is commonly use for [STRIKE]DOG[/STRIKE] dog training in America.

Can any native English [STRIKE]spoken person[/STRIKE] speaker from America [STRIKE]can[/STRIKE] comment here? Feel free to correct my grammar above if there are any mistakes. [STRIKE]too :)[/STRIKE] English is not my [STRIKE]1st/[/STRIKE] mother tongue. [STRIKE]language. [/STRIKE][STRIKE]Appreciated[/STRIKE] Your help is much appreciated!

Note my corrections above.

I'm not an AmE speaker but in BrE, we shout "Fetch!" to the dog after throwing a stick or a ball. However, it can be used in other senses but it's not common. For your "Can I fetch you from the coffee shop?", I would say "Can I pick you up from the coffee shop?" However, an Irish friend of mine uses "fetch" in that context. She would also say "Can I fetch you anything from the shop?" where I would use "Can I get you anything from the shop?"

Remember that we don't put a space before a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Fetch​ is common in some American dialects but most Americans would only use it as a command to a dog.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's native in my vocabulary (American from the northeast but with a southern parent) to use it to retrieve something, including a person.
I need to fetch Amy from the airport this afternoon.
I believe it's the southern part of my native vocabulary that finds this natural.

The American English teacher must not be from the south.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I use it infrequently as well, but it does have a sense of being an errand or command.

I might ask a child, close friend, or family member to fetch me something, but I probably wouldn't use it with strangers or colleagues.

Status
Not open for further replies.