• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

Philippine English

Is Philippine English easy to understand for Europeans or foreigners in general?
    I'm planning to travel there and I've never heard Filipinos talk because there hardly are any here in my city.
    I read that grammar seems to be only slightly different but maybe pronunciation and vocabulary are different?
    I'm only used to CNN English and can't even understand Liverpool English so far.

2. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: Philippine English

They have a distinctive pronunciation and intonation, but I lived there for three years and never had any problems with it. You should find most speakers easier to understand than a Liverpudlian accent. If you're OK with CNN, you won't have any problems at all.

3. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by krisfromgermany View Post
    Is Philippine English easy to understand for Europeans or foreigners in general?
    I'm planning to travel there and I've never heard Filipinos talk because there hardly are any here in my city.
    I read that grammar seems to be only slightly different but maybe pronunciation and vocabulary are different?
    I'm only used to CNN English and can't even understand Liverpool English so far.
    Some Filipino immigrants to the US have a very thick, choppy accent which I've found very hard to decipher. Others are easy to follow.
    I am not a teacher.

4. Banned
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    They have a distinctive pronunciation and intonation, but I lived there for three years and never had any problems with it. You should find most speakers easier to understand than a Liverpudlian accent. If you're OK with CNN, you won't have any problems at all.
    Good to know. Yes, I understand 99% of CNN English but when I saw a documentary about Jürgen Klopp the other day where they interviewed some Liverpool fans outside the stadium, I got shocked because I almost didn't understand a single word. Same is for an English soldier from Newcastle who I got to know last year or so; I couldn't understand him at all.
    I also heard that Filipinos often suddenly switch from English to their native Asian languages in the middle of a sentence, is that true?
    Last edited by krisfromgermany; 28-Dec-2016 at 18:20.