• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

MAYA

I was reading a text in which this expression appeared: most advanced, yet acceptable.

what does it mean?

thank you,

2. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: MAYA

It's hard to guess without more context.
    I am not a teacher.

Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

These· interpretations are based on architectural signs and it is tempting to say now that the aesthetic value of architecture resides in the wealth with which the architectural language is used. But architecture is no language in the sense of a digital and symbolic signsystem such as natural languages are., Architecture is an analog signsystem with indices and icons as components. As metaphors are the most complex,of these composing signs, we can rephrase our conclusion as follows ~ the aesthetic value of architecture. is equivalent to the extent to which this architecture gives rise to a multitude and complexity of Interpretations engendered by architectural metaphors. The aesthetic value of architecture is identical to its metaphorical potency. Therefore, highly qualified architecture (Le. aesthetically appreciated by observers) can never be obvious, for' obvious metaphors quickly decay into clichés. But on the other hand, highly original metaphors risk never becoming significant.
    Designers know this' critical dose, they calI it the M.A.Y.A. point: most advanced, yet acceptable.

of course the orginial text is long and I just typed 2 last paragraphs. after all I guess it is not necessary and it must have special meaning.

4. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Many architects strive to make their designs as original as possible. Such designs must refer as little as possible to past designs; they are advanced compared to the designs that people are used to.

People generally resist radical new designs. Architects following the MAYA principle make their designs as radical as they think their clients will accept.
    I am not a teacher.

5. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

This reminds me of something that happened in a neighborhood I was once fortunate enough to live in. A couple commissioned the famous architect Frank Gehry to design a very expensive house. They accepted the design, built the house, and moved in.

After a year or so, they had the place demolished and built a house they could tolerate living in. Gehry had evidently designed a house which was advanced beyond his clients' level of acceptance.
    I am not a teacher.

Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Quote Originally Posted by GoesStation View Post
    Many architects strive to make their designs as original as possible. Such designs must refer as little as possible to past designs; they are advanced compared to the designs that people are used to.

People generally resist radical new designs. Architects following the MAYA principle make their designs as radical as they think their clients will accept.
    in other words, it means the building is advanced but client "still" accepts the building and he can use it. Is it right? Or it means he can't use the building cause it is advanced. As a matter of fact the "yet" makes me confused.

7. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by topman85 View Post
    in other words, it means the building is advanced but client "still" accepts the building and he can use it. Is it right? Or it means he can't use the building cause it is advanced. As a matter of fact the "yet" makes me confused.
    Your first guess is right. The client accepts the building despite what the architect considers its "advanced" design.

Architects are notorious for being arrogant. Apparently they even have a term for the belief, all too common in their field, that they know better than the client what the client wants.
    I am not a teacher.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by topman85 View Post
    I was reading a text in which this expression appeared: "most advanced, yet acceptable".

What does it mean?

Thank you.
    See above. Remember to start every sentence with a capital letter and to end every sentence with one, appropriate punctuation mark.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.