Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Why, what do all the restaurants have against bachelors? They must surely be a prime restaurant demographic. ;-)

curiousmarcus

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Do you use "cup" for a small container for drinking? If it's small (200 ml or so) and especially if plastic, it's a "cup."

Just found this: http://www.traditionaloven.com/conversions_of_measures/yogurt_converter.html

According to it, a cup of yogurt is 245 grams or 8.64 ounces. The picture I attached is 500 grams, which is double the size.

Also, a measuring cup only goes up to 8 ounces, which is just around half of the yogurt container I attached.

For those who called it a "cup", did you just miss the size information in the picture? Or doesn't it matter? Heck, you'd just call it a big cup.

Simple_Measuring_Cup.jpg

curiousmarcus

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Why, what do all the restaurants have against bachelors? They must surely be a prime restaurant demographic. ;-)

I'm guessing this is supposed to be funny, but I don't get it. Can somebody explain?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Just found this: http://www.traditionaloven.com/conversions_of_measures/yogurt_converter.html

According to it, a cup of yogurt is 245 grams or 8.64 ounces. The picture I attached is 500 grams, which is double the size.

Also, a measuring cup only goes up to 8 ounces, which is just around half of the yogurt container I attached.

For those who called it a "cup", did you just miss the size information in the picture? Or doesn't it matter? Heck, you'd just call it a big cup.

A cup is a unit of volume consisting of eight US fluid ounces; thus, one cup is half a US pint, one fourth of a US quart, or one sixteenth of a US gallon.

A cup is also a drinking vessel or small bowl, in which case it has no standard volume.

Yet another kind of cup is a small container like the one an individual serving of yogurt might come in.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In my defence, I was trying to point out that you can't order a Batchelor's Cup-a-Soup in a restaurant!

Why, what do all the restaurants have against bachelors? They must surely be a prime restaurant demographic.

I'm guessing this is supposed to be funny, but I don't get it. Can somebody explain?

The brand name of the soup emsr2d2 linked looks very much like the word 'bachelor', so my joke was making fun of the fact that you could (purposely) misread her sentence as saying restaurants won't serve bachelors a cup of soup. Presumably however you could get soup if you weren't a bachelor (i.e. you're married or you're a woman).

Since unmarried men likely eat out more than married men (assuming they don't like to cook), then it would be counter-productive for the restaurants to not serve bachelors.

Status
Not open for further replies.