• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: can of yogurt

Why, what do all the restaurants have against bachelors? They must surely be a prime restaurant demographic.
    Wear short sleeves! Support your right to bare arms!

2. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post

Do you use "cup" for a small container for drinking? If it's small (200 ml or so) and especially if plastic, it's a "cup."
    Just found this: http://www.traditionaloven.com/conve...converter.html

According to it, a cup of yogurt is 245 grams or 8.64 ounces. The picture I attached is 500 grams, which is double the size.

Also, a measuring cup only goes up to 8 ounces, which is just around half of the yogurt container I attached.

For those who called it a "cup", did you just miss the size information in the picture? Or doesn't it matter? Heck, you'd just call it a big cup.

Not a teacher.

3. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by Skrej View Post
    Why, what do all the restaurants have against bachelors? They must surely be a prime restaurant demographic.
    I'm guessing this is supposed to be funny, but I don't get it. Can somebody explain?
    Not a teacher.

4. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by curiousmarcus View Post
    Just found this: http://www.traditionaloven.com/conve...converter.html

According to it, a cup of yogurt is 245 grams or 8.64 ounces. The picture I attached is 500 grams, which is double the size.

Also, a measuring cup only goes up to 8 ounces, which is just around half of the yogurt container I attached.

For those who called it a "cup", did you just miss the size information in the picture? Or doesn't it matter? Heck, you'd just call it a big cup.
    A cup is a unit of volume consisting of eight US fluid ounces; thus, one cup is half a US pint, one fourth of a US quart, or one sixteenth of a US gallon.

A cup is also a drinking vessel or small bowl, in which case it has no standard volume.

Yet another kind of cup is a small container like the one an individual serving of yogurt might come in.
    I am not a teacher.

Key Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    In my defence, I was trying to point out that you can't order a Batchelor's Cup-a-Soup in a restaurant!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrej View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by curiousmarcus View Post
    I'm guessing this is supposed to be funny, but I don't get it. Can somebody explain?
    The brand name of the soup emsr2d2 linked looks very much like the word 'bachelor', so my joke was making fun of the fact that you could (purposely) misread her sentence as saying restaurants won't serve bachelors a cup of soup. Presumably however you could get soup if you weren't a bachelor (i.e. you're married or you're a woman).

Since unmarried men likely eat out more than married men (assuming they don't like to cook), then it would be counter-productive for the restaurants to not serve bachelors.
    Wear short sleeves! Support your right to bare arms!

Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3