How much time would he have taken to inform me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Tom is getting married next week and he has just informed me that too because you asked him to inform me. Why did you ask him to inform me? I wanted to see "How much (I hope it is correct to use 'how much and how long') time he would have taken to inform me?" Or "How long would he have waited to inform me?" Or "Until when would he have waited to inform me?"

Please check.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Re: How much time he would have taken to inform me?

Tom is getting married next week and he has just informed me that too because you asked him to inform me.

The opening sentence doesn't make any sense, specifically the underlined parts.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

The opening sentence doesn't make any sense, specifically the underlined parts.

It means Tom informed me so late about his marriage. He did it because he was pressured by you otherwise I don't think he would have informed me at this time as well. (I don't know what is the correct word that should be put in place of "that too".)

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

I wanted to see "How much (I hope it is correct to use 'how much and how long') time he would have taken to inform me?" Or "How long would he have waited to inform me?" Or "Until when would he have waited to inform me?"
I wanted to know after how long he would inform you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Tom is getting married next week and he has just informed me that too because you asked him to inform me. Why did you ask him to inform me? I wanted to see "How much (I hope it is correct to use 'how much and how long') time he would have taken to inform me?" Or "How long would he have waited to inform me?" Or "Until when would he have waited to inform me?"

Please check.

Tom's getting married next week. He's only just told me and he only told me because you asked him to. Why did you do that? I wanted to see how long it would take him to tell me about his wedding!

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Please note that I have corrected your title.

[STRIKE]he would[/STRIKE] would he

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

Tom's getting married next week. He's only just told me and he only told me because you asked him to. Why did you do that? I wanted to see how long it would take him to tell me about his wedding!

I would like to ask you that, is using "how long it would have taken him to tell me" here wrong? I mean it happened in the past so if I want to imagine about an opposite situation then I think we need to use "would have done".

could you please also tell me what should be used if I want to say "that too" (I mean I don't know which word to use for this expression)?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I would like to ask you that,

We have explained before that this is not a grammatical opening. You can say "I would like to ask you if ...", "I would like to ask you whether ...", "I would like to ask for your help with ...". None of those would be followed by a comma. Try to rewrite your opening sentence.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

I would like to ask you whether using "how long it would have taken him to tell me" here wrong? I mean it happened in the past so if I want to imagine about an opposite situation then I think we need to use "would have done".

could you please also tell me what should be used if I want to say "that too" (I mean I don't know which word to use for this expression)?

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

"That too" isn't an expression. The two words might appear next to each other in a sentence if it's appropriate but that's just coincidence. What do you think it means?

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

"That too" isn't an expression. The two words might appear next to each other in a sentence if it's appropriate but that's just coincidence. What do you think it means?

I have it in my mind but can't explain you. By "that too" I mean an expression that emphasises (I don't know whether to use "on" after emphasises) something. Like in this situation that mentioned "Tom informed his friend but just two days before his marriage. That too (emphasises the criticism) when a third person asked him to do so otherwise he would have informed him on the same day".

Could you please answer one more question? I used "how long would it have taken him to inform me?" and you used "how long it would take him to inform me" but both are correct. What is the reason could you please explain?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I have it in my mind but can't explain it to you. By "that too" I mean an expression that emphasises (I don't know whether to use "on" after emphasises - no, don't use "on") something. Like in this situation that I mentioned "Tom informed his friend but just two days before his marriage. That too (emphasises the criticism) when a third person asked him to do so otherwise he would have informed him on the same day".

Could you please answer one more question? I used "how long would it have taken him to inform me?" and you used "how long it would take him to inform me" but both are correct. What is the reason? Could you please explain?

"How long would it have taken him to inform me?" That would be a standalone sentence as you can see by the fact that it starts with a capital letter. It might be a question you direct towards a third party but it's more likely that you would direct it towards the person who was getting married, as "How long would it have taken you to inform me?"

"I wanted to see how long it would take him to inform me." This is not a question. That's clear from the fact that it starts with "I wanted to see" and doesn't end with a question mark. This is a statement of fact.

This is a common word reorder when changing from a question to a non-question.

How long will it take you to build the wall?
I wonder how long it will take you ...

What is his name?
I want to know what his name is.

I still can't comment intelligently on your "that too" because it just doesn't work. Don't use it.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

"How long would it have taken him to inform me?" That would be a standalone sentence as you can see by the fact that it starts with a capital letter. It might be a question you direct towards a third party but it's more likely that you would direct it towards the person who was getting married, as "How long would it have taken you to inform me?"

"I wanted to see how long it would take him to inform me." This is not a question. That's clear from the fact that it starts with "I wanted to see" and doesn't end with a question mark. This is a statement of fact.

This is a common word reorder when changing from a question to a non-question.

How long will it take you to build the wall?
I wonder how long it will take you ...

What is his name?
I want to know what his name is.

I still can't comment intelligently on your "that too" because it just doesn't work. Don't use it.

Thanks EMS but I tried to explain you that what I meant by "that too". I know that it is wrong but I was asking about a word that can express that kind of feeling (I don't know what word should be used here in place of "feeling"?).

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

The only ways I can think of using 'that too' are:

Luke: What sort of problems are you having with Fred?
Emma: Well, he never calls me first, he always arrives late when we've arranged to meet, and he drinks too much.
Luke: Does he still borrow money and forget to pay it back?
Emma. That too. (= Yes, that is an additional problem.)

Luke: I know that you having been problems with your back. How about your shoulder?
Emma. That, too, is still giving me problems, (my back is also giving me problems.)

Luke: Hi, Emma. Is your computer still playing up?
Emma: That (,) too. (= I have other problems apart from that.)

I don't find the third example particularly natural, but I have heard it from younger people.

Thank you Piscean for your time and effort. Is there a word that can replace "that too" in my sentence?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Thanks EMS but I tried to explain you that what I meant by "that too". I know that it is wrong but I was asking about a word that can express that kind of feeling (I don't know what word should be used here in place of "feeling"?).

I know that that was the main question in your post but I left that for someone else. I was responding to this part:

Could you please answer one more question? I used "how long would it have taken him to inform me?" and you used "how long it would take him to inform me" but both are correct. What is the reason could you please explain?

Don't ask a question if you don't want an answer.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

Don't ask a question if you don't want an answer.

Sorry I don't understand.

You asked a question in post #12 and I answered it in post #13. However, in post #15, it seemed that you were suggesting that I should have answered the question about "that too" instead of the question I actually answered. If you ask a question in a post, someone will answer it. That's what I mean. Don't worry about it. I don't want this thread to go off-topic and start being concerned with the contents of posts 12, 13, 15, 17 and 18.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.