Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Hi,

Please point out mistakes

"It is to certify that that Mr. XXX bearing NIC No. 123 is a permanent teacher of this school whose salary is Rs. 123.00. Moreover, he has been serving in this department for thirty-four years. He's entitled for full salary for sixteen days. I have no objection to his visit to the UK."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi,

Please point out any mistakes​.

"[STRIKE]It[/STRIKE] This is to certify that that Mr. XXX, [STRIKE]bearing[/STRIKE] NIC No. 123, is a permanent teacher [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] at this school. [STRIKE]whose[/STRIKE] His salary is Rs. 123.00 [STRIKE]Moreover,[/STRIKE] and he has been [STRIKE]serving[/STRIKE] working in this department for [STRIKE]thirty-four[/STRIKE] 34 years. He's entitled [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] to [STRIKE]full salary for[/STRIKE] sixteen days' fully-paid holiday. I have no objection to his visit to the UK."

Note my corrections above.

Last edited:

Untaught88

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
1: Should I use a comma after the 123?
2: Is the use of "bearing" incorrect?
3: When should I use "thirty-four" and when "34"?

bubbha

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Taiwan
"This is to certify that that Mr. XXX..."

Remove one of the "that"s.

Yes, add a comma after 123 in the corrected version above.

I was taught that numbers below 10 are written as words, and above 10 and below 1 million are written as numbers. Ten itself can change according to context: "I saw nine or ten people" vs. "I saw 10 or 11 people".

But when you reach the millions, billions, etc., write 1 million, 2 million, 15 billion, 125 trillion, 2.56 million, 7.31 billion, etc.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
1: Should I use a comma after the 123?

Apologies. I failed to add that comma in my first response. It should be there and I have now inserted it.

Untaught88

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
When we reach the million or billion, we write 1 million. And what should we write 1 hundred or one hundred? I think we write "one hundred". We write in numbers when it is above ten like "23 hundred".

bubbha

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Taiwan
When we reach the million or billion, we write 1 million. And what should we write 1 hundred or one hundred? I think we write "one hundred". We write in numbers when it is above ten like "23 hundred".
No.

Generally, we write as follows: "100", "1000", "10,000", "100,000", "1 million". This is for written sentences, not for data tables, mathematical formulas, etc. Though if you write "one hundred" in an essay, few people will object.

We don't usually use the form "23 hundred", but there are some exceptions, most notably street addresses. Please be aware: this form is spoken, not written. It is rare that we would actually write "23 hundred" (this post being one of the rare cases in which we might do so).

So, what we write as "2300 Main Street" is pronounced "twenty three hundred Main Street" when we speak.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.