Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
There is a question about usage of causative verbs. Below you will see two sentences and my understanding of each of them.
It makes me laughing. - I understand it as something/somebody makes me laugh more than one time. For example: I love this film and it makes me laughing.
It makes me laugh. - It is one action. That is, it is about one-time action. For example: Your joke made me laugh.
As far as I understand similar thing happens with other causative verbs: "let", "have", "get", etc.

So, patterns sb have sb do smth and sb have sb doing smth express different meanings, and it is true for other causative verbs such as "let", "make","get". Is it right?
I hope you'll help me.

Little man

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Re: A question about causative verbs.

O.k., thank you. Then only "It makes me laugh" is correct. Or if I want to emphasise the repetition of an action, it will be "It always makes me laugh.
And in sentence "It's lovely to have children playing in the garden", the verb "have" has possessive meaning. As in the sentence: "Let's have Tom teaching the children."

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

It makes me laughing is not possible.

It makes me laugh is good. The use of the present tense makes suggests "more than one time".

If you say It made me laugh, you are referring to one specific time in the past.

If you have questions about have/let/make/get, please ask them in a different thread.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Little man, please note that I have changed your thread title.

Extract from the Posting Guidelines:

'Thread titles should include all or part of the word/phrase being discussed.'

Additionally, please don't use the non-standard abbreviations sb and sth in your posts.

They are commonly used only in dictionaries, where they need to save as much space as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.