• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Norwegian
      • Home Country:
      • Norway
      • Current Location:
      • Norway

I want to improve my English

Hello, I am 22 years old man from Norway. I want to speak English fluently someday, and I have been working to do it happens. I watch English movies with English subtitles, I try to speak with native Americans and British people, but I am not comfortable when I speak, and I sometimes or often I need to wonder what the Norwegian word in English is to complete the phrase. When I watching movies with English subtitles I understand maybe 60-75 percent (depends on witch movie it is). I have tried to look up every word I donít understand when I watching movies, but I find it very, very boring. I have also tried some English software programs like Rosetta Stone, but I donít think that was to a big help for me. The only thing I can remember I donít have try is reading books. I know the best solution will be to move, to a English speaking country, but I donít know anybody in these countries. What do you think itís the best solution for me to do? Regards Nichlas.

2. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: I want to improve my English

Have you travelled in English-speaking countries?

VIP Member
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

-
    Quote Originally Posted by Nichlas1994 View Post
    Hello, I am ​a 22​-years old man from Norway. I want to speak English fluently someday, and I have been working to do make it happens. I watch English movies with English subtitles, I try to speak with native Americans and British people, but I am not comfortable when I speak, and I sometimes or often I need to wonder ​think about what the Norwegian word in English is to complete the phrase. When I am watching movies with English subtitles I understand maybe 60-75 percent (it depends on witch which movie it is). I have tried to look up every word I donít understand when I watching movies, but I find it very, very boring. I have also tried some English software programs like Rosetta Stone, but I donít think that was to a big help for me. The only thing I can remember I donít have to try is reading books. I know the best solution will be to move, to a English speaking country, but I donít know anybody in these countries. What do you think itís the best solution for me to do? Regards, Nichlas.
    Note my corrections.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

Hello Nichlas1994, and welcome to the forum.

I watch English movies with English subtitles, I try to speak with native Americans and British people
    That's a comma splice, which is a grammatical error. To fix it, you can either use a full stop to make two sentences or use a conjunction.
    I watch English movies with English subtitles. I try to speak with native American and British people, etc.
    or
    I watch English movies with English subtitles, and I try to speak with native Americans and British people, etc.

The only thing I can remember I don’t have try is reading books.
    I don't understand the above. Can you rephrase it?

I know the best solution will might be to move to an English-speaking country, but I don’t know anybody in these countries.
    What do you think it’s is the best solution for me? to do? Regards, Nichlas.
    Last edited by teechar; 07-Jan-2017 at 10:47.

Key Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

The only thing I can remember I haven't tried is ...
    might have been what Nichlas meant.

Key Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Quote Originally Posted by teechar View Post
    That's a comma splice, which is a grammatical error.
    That was my initial thought too, but Nichlas used 'but' and 'and'.

7. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Norwegian
      • Home Country:
      • Norway
      • Current Location:
      • Norway

Thanks for your answers, but my main reason to write in this forum was because I want some advice to improve my English. Dont misunderstand me, i like that u edit my wrong phrases, so i can write and say English phrashes more correctly in the future. Do some of you have some advice to give me? Like reading a book, or using a very good software program? Thanks :)

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Thanks for your answers, but my main reason to for write writing in this forum was because that I want some advice to improve my English. Don't misunderstand me, I like that you edit my wrong phrases errors, so I can write and say speak English phrashes more correctly in the future. Do some of you have some advice to give me, like reading a book, or using a very good software program? Thanks. :)
    The best advice I can give you is surround yourself with English as often as you can. Watch English-speaking TV and movies, listen to an English-speaking radio station (preferably one with little music but lots of talking), read the news on an English-language website, see if you can subscribe to a newspaper or topical magazine in English. Find English text and read it aloud, recording yourself and listening to it later. Watch talks on websites like TED.com - you can add subtitles if you wish but try to watch without subtitles. Speak English as often as you can with native speakers. You could also try Duolingo (website and app). Think of a book that you've already read in Norwegian and find an English translation of it. That way, you will already know the story and you will have a good idea of what is going on right from the start.

We will always correct errors in posts when we spot them - that will help you to write English correctly. For a start, make a note of these rules that you need to follow:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
    - End every sentence with one, appropriate punctuation mark.
    - Always capitalise the word "I".

On this forum, don't try to make your own emoticons/smilies - if you really need one, click on the icon in the toolbar and choose the appropriate one. Also, don't use non-standard abbreviation such as "u/gonna/wanna" - write words out in full.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

9. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Also, don't use non-standard abbreviation such as "u/gonna/wanna" - write words out in full.
    One easy way to improve your English is to follow this advice.
    I am not a teacher.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

Quote Originally Posted by tzfujimino View Post
    That was my initial thought too, but Nichlas used 'but' and 'and'.
    In my opinion, it's still a comma splice. Here are some ways to avoid that:

I watch English movies with English subtitles; I try to speak with native American and British people, but I am not comfortable when I speak, and I sometimes, etc.

or

I watch English movies with English subtitles, and I try to speak with native Americans and British people, but I am not comfortable when I speak, and I sometimes, etc.

or

I watch English movies with English subtitles and try to speak with native Americans and British people, but I am not comfortable when I speak, and I sometimes, etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last