Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Macedonian
Home Country
Costa Rica
Current Location
Montenegro
Hello, I am 22 years old man from Norway. I want to speak English fluently someday, and I have been working to do it happens. I watch English movies with English subtitles, I try to speak with native Americans and British people, but I am not comfortable when I speak, and I sometimes or often I need to wonder what the Norwegian word in English is to complete the phrase. When I watching movies with English subtitles I understand maybe 60-75 percent (depends on witch movie it is). I have tried to look up every word I don’t understand when I watching movies, but I find it very, very boring. I have also tried some English software programs like Rosetta Stone, but I don’t think that was to a big help for me. The only thing I can remember I don’t have try is reading books. I know the best solution will be to move, to a English speaking country, but I don’t know anybody in these countries. What do you think it’s the best solution for me to do? Regards Nichlas.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Have you travelled in English-speaking countries?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hello Nichlas1994, and welcome to the forum. :)

I watch English movies with English subtitles, I try to speak with native Americans and British people
That's a comma splice, which is a grammatical error. To fix it, you can either use a full stop to make two sentences or use a conjunction.
I watch English movies with English subtitles. I try to speak with native American and British people, etc.
or
I watch English movies with English subtitles, and I try to speak with native Americans and British people, etc.

The only thing I can remember I don’t have try is reading books.
I don't understand the above. Can you rephrase it?

I know the best solution [STRIKE]will[/STRIKE] might be to move to an English-speaking country, but I don’t know anybody in these countries.

What do you think [STRIKE]it’s[/STRIKE] is the best solution for me? [STRIKE]to do?[/STRIKE] Regards, Nichlas.

Last edited:

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
The only thing I can remember I haven't tried is ...
might have been what Nichlas meant.

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
That's a comma splice, which is a grammatical error.

That was my initial thought too, but Nichlas used 'but' and 'and'.

Nichlas1994

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Macedonian
Home Country
Costa Rica
Current Location
Montenegro
Thanks for your answers, but my main reason to write in this forum was because I want some advice to improve my English. Dont misunderstand me, i like that u edit my wrong phrases, so i can write and say English phrashes more correctly in the future. Do some of you have some advice to give me? Like reading a book, or using a very good software program? Thanks :)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks for your answers, but my main reason [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] for [STRIKE]write[/STRIKE] writing in this forum was [strike]because[/strike] that I want some advice to improve my English. Don't misunderstand me, I like that you edit my [STRIKE]wrong phrases[/STRIKE] errors, so I can write and [STRIKE]say[/STRIKE] speak English [STRIKE]phrashes[/STRIKE] more correctly in the future. Do some of you have some advice to give me, like reading a book, or using a very good software program? Thanks. [STRIKE]:)[/STRIKE]

The best advice I can give you is surround yourself with English as often as you can. Watch English-speaking TV and movies, listen to an English-speaking radio station (preferably one with little music but lots of talking), read the news on an English-language website, see if you can subscribe to a newspaper or topical magazine in English. Find English text and read it aloud, recording yourself and listening to it later. Watch talks on websites like TED.com - you can add subtitles if you wish but try to watch without subtitles. Speak English as often as you can with native speakers. You could also try Duolingo (website and app). Think of a book that you've already read in Norwegian and find an English translation of it. That way, you will already know the story and you will have a good idea of what is going on right from the start.

We will always correct errors in posts when we spot them - that will help you to write English correctly. For a start, make a note of these rules that you need to follow:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- End every sentence with one, appropriate punctuation mark.
- Always capitalise the word "I".

On this forum, don't try to make your own emoticons/smilies - if you really need one, click on the :) icon in the toolbar and choose the appropriate one. Also, don't use non-standard abbreviation such as "u/gonna/wanna" - write words out in full.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Also, don't use non-standard abbreviation such as "u/gonna/wanna" - write words out in full.

One easy way to improve your English is to follow this advice.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
That was my initial thought too, but Nichlas used 'but' and 'and'.
In my opinion, it's still a comma splice. Here are some ways to avoid that:

I watch English movies with English subtitles; I try to speak with native American and British people, but I am not comfortable when I speak, and I sometimes, etc.

or

I watch English movies with English subtitles, and I try to speak with native Americans and British people, but I am not comfortable when I speak, and I sometimes, etc.

or

I watch English movies with English subtitles and try to speak with native Americans and British people, but I am not comfortable when I speak, and I sometimes, etc.

Nichlas1994

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Macedonian
Home Country
Costa Rica
Current Location
Montenegro
Thank you all, I will try my best to follow your advices. In end: Do some of you know any really great grammar books? Thats my last question so far. Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Thanks for your answers, but my main reason to write in this forum was because I want some advice to improve my English

You have the chance here to engage with many English speakers, which should help.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you all, I will try my best to follow your [STRIKE]advices[/STRIKE] advice. [STRIKE]In end:[/STRIKE] Finally, do [STRIKE]some[/STRIKE] any of you know any really great grammar books? That's my last question [STRIKE]so far[/STRIKE] for now. Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Raymond Murphy's "English Grammar in Use" is a favourite with many teachers and students.

Note my corrections above. "Advice" is uncountable so doesn't take the plural "s".

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
And Michael Swan's Practical English Usage is probably a bigger hit. It is still the book I would recommend first.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It is still my first port of call.

Status
Not open for further replies.