Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Hi everybody,

Recently I've come across an interesting and new to me idiom - "to a T" which I found in the dictionary when I was looking for another way to say "perfectly, exactly". Is it a commonly used expression or an outdated one? And most importantly, in which writing style can it be used? Is it appropriate to say "to meet a deadline to a T"?

Thank you.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It means "exactly" or "perfectly" and the "t" part of the expression comes from "tittle" which is a printer's mark.

Apparently, it is still in use, but don't be surprised if the people you know have never heard it before.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is it appropriate to say "to meet a deadline to a T"?

No. The only context the phrase appears in is it fits you to a T.

It's not terribly common in American English but you can hear it from time to time. It's not part of most people's everyday vocabulary.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I was surprised to learn how uncommon it is because I use it myself. But a cursory review of the CoCA shows that it simply means exact or perfect, regardless of context, and also that it is rare in AmE.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's not uncommon in BrE, where it is not only used for clothes- a steak could be cooked to a T, etc..

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's not uncommon in BrE, where it is not only used for clothes- a steak could be cooked to a T, etc..

This reminds me that an English friend often uses this expression. It's one of the speech habits that make her still sound English. Forty-some years in the States has shifted her accent considerably but she retains a lot of Britishisms.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I was surprised to learn how uncommon it is because I use it myself. But a cursory review of the CoCA shows that it simply means exact or perfect, regardless of context, and also that it is rare in AmE.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's more common in Canadian English than AmE. I don't remember hearing it when I lived in Toronto but that's been rather a long time ago now and I may not have retained that little detail. :)

Skrej

Key Member
Member Type
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I've used it myself on very rare occasion, particularity the 'cooked to a T'. I could probably count the number of times I've used it on both hands, however, and possibly one hand.

However, I also tend to collect and use rare or quaint expressions, just to be different. For example, I'm single-handedly (apparently) trying to institute the comeback of 'codswallop' in daily speech. Sadly, I've had no success. :cry:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If it makes you feel any better, codswallop certainly isn't defunct in the UK. I use it a lot, as do most of my family.

Most of us use "verb-ed to a T" fairly frequently too.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Your codswallop campaign is a good one, though. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.