$30 is too much for a black forest cake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
A shopkeeper asked for $30 just for a black forest cake. I think $30 is (I don't know whether to use "are" or "is" here?) too much for a cake. I told him that other shopkeepers were selling the same cake for $20. "He showed me another cake worth 20 dollars" or "he showed me another cake that cost 20 dolars". I wanted a cake that was worth 15 dollars so I said "do you have any cake that is worth 15 dollars?"

Please check.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
A shopkeeper will never tell you what their goods are worth. They will only tell you what their goods cost.

"I'm not paying $30 for a Black Forest Gateau! Have you got a cake for $20?"

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
A shopkeeper will never tell you what their goods are worth. They will only tell you what their goods cost.

"I'm not paying $30 for a Black Forest Gateau! Have you got a cake for $20?"

I think $30 is (I don't know whether to use "are" or "is" here?) too much for a cake. Could you please check this sentence?

So, we cannot say "it is worth $20" I used to think it meant that something costs $20.

"what their goods are worth" what does this sentence mean? Somebody had written somewhere "how much a life is worth?" What does it mean could you please tel me?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think $30 is (I don't know whether to use "are" or "is" here?) too much for a cake. Could you please check this sentence.
There is some punctuation in one of the sentences above which should not be there. Can you spot it?

So, we cannot say "it is worth $20" I used to think it meant that something costs $20.
The sentence above contains punctuation that should not be there, and there is also some missing punctuation. There is also an error in capitalisation.

"what their goods are worth" what does this sentence mean?
Missing punctuation. Missing capitalisation.

Somebody had written somewhere "how much a life is worth?"
Incorrectly capitalised.

What does it mean could you please tel me?
Missing punctuation. Missing punctuation. Spelling error.

See above. The number of errors in this post is pretty shocking, tufguy.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
See above. The number of errors in this post is pretty shocking, tufguy.

"I think $30 is too much for a cake" could you please check this sentence?

So, we cannot say "It is worth $20" I used to think it meant that something costs $20. I read on the Google "Jewellery worth £450 was taken" is it incorrect and what does it mean actually?

"What their goods are worth" what does this sentence mean? Somebody had written somewhere "How much a life is worth?" What does it mean could you please tell me?

I am confused about this word "Worth". What is the correct way of using it and what does it mean?

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Here you are disputing the value of the cake, so you would have to use worth as your opinion- the person selling it thinks its value is higher than you do. You could say that you don't think it's worth 30 dollars, but that is unusual with a consumable like a cake- it's more commonly used for something with a resale value, which cake rarely has as we tend to eat it. It would be more natural to say that you would only pay twenty dollars.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"I think $30 is too much for a cake" could you please check this sentence?

Missing punctuation and capitalisation.

bubbha

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Taiwan

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Missing punctuation and capitalisation.

"I think $30 is too much for a cake". Could you please check this sentence? Is it correct?

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Here you are disputing the value of the cake, so you would have to use worth as your opinion- the person selling it thinks its value is higher than you. You could say that you don't think it's worth 30 dollars, but that is unusual with a consumable like a cake- it's more commonly used for something with a resale value, which cake rarely has as we tend to eat it. It would be more natural to say that you would only pay twenty dollars.

"The person selling it, thinks it's value is higher than you." It's value is higher than you sounds odd to me. Does it mean "The person selling it, thinks it's value is higher than you think it should be" or "it is"? (is this sentence correct?)

So, we can say "How much a thing is worth" or "What this thing is worth" or "I want XYZ worth 1000 dollars" or "What this thing worth is going to be in next two years". We are basically talking about the actual price of that thing but the thing we are talking about should be a thing that can be resold like a car, bunglow or jewellery. Am I correct?

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I have edited the post to account for the numerous typos. My apologies.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Tufguy, always consider the context. I want to buy a cake, so I say to the baker, "What do you have in my price range?"

The value of a cake goes down fast. Possible conversation:

A: How much does that cake cost?
B: Thirty dollars.
A: How about tomorrow?
B: Not as much.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I have edited the post to account for the numerous typos. My apologies.

I am sorry for that but could you please answer my questions?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I have- read the post now.

Status
Not open for further replies.